can my old psu handle a new video card?

zeldaboy101

Solid State Member
I'd like to upgrade my video card, but don't know if my PSU can support a new one. Will be upgrading the rest of the system in the spring.

Currently:
3.0ghz single core intel
asus P5GD1-VM mobo
1.5gb ram (probably just ddr)
geforce 6600GT
1 hd
2 dvd burners
431w enermax psu

I'd like to get an 8800gt at least, preferably a 9800gt as they're not that expensive. So can 431w run the 8800 or 9800? Assuming they fit in my case, the ram gets awful close to where the card would stick out...

IF I have to upgrade my psu then lets say the future setup will be:
probably quad core (I do a lot of photoshop stuff)
4gb ram or more
1-2 hd
2 burners
9800gt

So how many watts would I need to be safe with something like that?

thanks,
Jeremy

its highly recommended to upgrade your PSU.
Google Extreme PSU calculater and do the things, and it will tell you what you need.
An 8800GT needs 400W with 22A i think.
From what i see on newegg, and 9800GT is cheaper than an 8800GT, the 9800GT is pretty much the same as the 8800GT with a minor adjustment.

I punched everything in to the calculator and it didn't even reach 300w total. I know for the complete upgrade (new cpu, ram, etc) i'll need a new psu but for my current setup if I just swap out of the video card it looks like my psu is enough?

it might.
You have to take the fact that the calculator doesnt tell you how many Amps you need, and compared to you PSU.
You could try, from what i have heard, it wont damage your system if you have insufficient Watts and Amps, your system will either be unstable or it just wont turn on.

The Enermax 431 is a bit shy on the 12V rail with 20A available. The 8800GT requires at the minimum of 400W with 22A @ 12V (9800GT - 400W + 26A). It should work, but I would fully recommend a power supply upgrade in the very near future.

Thanks guys.

So would I really see a difference in performance between the 8800gt and the 9800gt?

If not, i'd probably be best off with the 8800gt since I can use it in my system as is for the next couple months before I upgrade everything else?

And there is NO risk to damaging components when you don't have enough power right? I dont need to blow something up right now...

No. The 9800GT is basically a rebadged 8800GT. Performance is identical. (9800GT's can be found cheaper then the 8800GT)

You shouldn't damage anything being under powered. At the most it will be unstable or just not boot.

Thanks guys.

So would I really see a difference in performance between the 8800gt and the 9800gt?

If not, i'd probably be best off with the 8800gt since I can use it in my system as is for the next couple months before I upgrade everything else?

And there is NO risk to damaging components when you don't have enough power right? I dont need to blow something up right now...

the 9800GT IS a 8800GT, so theres no performance gains what so ever.
I would go with the 9800GT, it seems cheaper than the 8800GT.
As i said about the power, no.

Back
Top Bottom