Can I upgrade my Processor?

ccasmoe00

In Runtime
Hello everyone. I'm new here as you all can see. I'm in the process if upgrading my computer. I'm getting a new Plasma TV this week, so I wanted to go ahead and update my computer as well. As of now my computer has been great. I have never had any problems with it(Knock on wood). I've had it for about 3 years now. Also as of now I have an Nvidia FX5200 128MB AGP Card and Sound Blaster Card.

As of now my system is setup up as such:
SystemProp.jpg

I have on order(which should be here within the week) an 200GB Western Digital Hardrive, 4-Port Network Card, GeForce4 FX5200 256MB DDR w/ DVI TV out, 4-Port USB Hub, Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard and a 19" LCD Monitor.

Now to my main question. Can I upgrade my Processor to have it somewhere near a Pentium 4 3.2GHz? Do I have to change the motherboard? Any certain connection setup? This is my first time so I am completely new to this. As much help as you guys can give, is needed. Thanks Everyone.

Here is the inside of my computer if anyones needs to see it:
SystemProp1.jpg

SystemProp2.jpg

what was the point in buying a fx5200 when you already have one? you should have moved up a level in graphics processor as well as the memory! but anyway...

i would imagine you could upgrade the processor... you need to find the model number for the motherboard and look on its website to find out what the max supported chip is. most likely though you wont be able to jump from a 1.8 to a 3.2, maybe - but certainly not without a bios upgrade. so you may need to update your motherboard if you really want to improve performance.

by the way a fan in the back of that case wouldnt go a miss! (one to push the air out the back) :D

jay8990 said:
what was the point in buying a fx5200 when you already have one? you should have moved up a level in graphics processor as well as the memory! but anyway...

i would imagine you could upgrade the processor... you need to find the model number for the motherboard and look on its website to find out what the max supported chip is. most likely though you wont be able to jump from a 1.8 to a 3.2, maybe - but certainly not without a bios upgrade. so you may need to update your motherboard if you really want to improve performance.

by the way a fan in the back of that case wouldnt go a miss! (one to push the air out the back) :D

The Graphics card I have now doesnt have a DVI hookup for my Plasma. Plus its only 128MB, the one I'm getting is 256MB. Oh and I have a fan, you just cant see it in the shot.

but a fx 5900, or hell even a 6600gt would have been good! :D

Your fan place empty :S Stick an extra one in there then! :D

it willl be printed on the board, try under the graphics card slot, thats a common place. or where all that stuff is written alongside the processor. its to small to read!

Just checked the intel site and says I can go up to 2.8GHz. I guess thats good enough or maybe I should change the board too? What do you think?

IntelBoard.jpg

ccasmoe00 said:
Yes, thats what it states. Does the new processor come with a new fan as well?

If u buy it retail then it will come with everything u need for the cooling.

Back
Top Bottom