can I upgrade my laptop?

byammnt

Beta member
I've had my current notebook, the Toshiba Satellite A130, for about two years now, and I love it more than anything. The only problem is, the new Sims game requires more RAM and a better processor. These are my current specs.

* Processor: Intel Core Duo T2080 (1.73GHz)
* RAM: 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM
* Hard Drive: 120GB Hitachi SATA
* Screen: 15.4” Tru-Brite WXGA (1280x800)
* Optical Drive: DVD±RW/DVD-RAM Drive
* Graphics: Intel GMA950 Graphics
* Slots: Type II PCMCIA (left), 5-in-1 Card Reader (front)
* Ports: 4 USB 2.0 (two right, one left, one back), 1 4-pin Firewire (left), 1 VGA output (left), 1 S-Video output (left), 1 Headphone jack (front), 1 Microphone jack (front), 1 RJ-11 phone jack (back), 1 Power jack (back), 1 RJ-45 LAN jack (back)
* Wireless: Atheros 802.11g

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM and the processor? I need at least a 2.4 GHz processor, and 1.5 mb of RAM. I could only find the RAM slot (that's easy, lol) but I couldn't see an access point for the processor to be switched out.

Help?

memory u can, max per slot is 2gb, but some laptops have a max of 1 gb. Run this program called Belarc Advisor, it scans your computer n gives u the spec. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Processor usually not, but open it up nd have a look. (dnt open it if u have a warranty, it MAY void it as they MAY know uve opend it and tampered with it) but if u want open it nd carry on.

look round the processor, it may have residue of glue around the corners or edges. If so u cnt change it, if not u may b in luck but still might b soldered.

You can only upgrade the memory, not the CPU, but even with the memory there are hardware limitations. If I recall correctly you can only have 2GB or ram in a Yonah (core duo) based notebook.

Here is the link to your laptop's detailed specs: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...130-ST1311&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

It indicates you can have a 1GB memory module per slot (2 slots available) 2GB total memory installed.

The CPU may be upgradeable, but the laptop would need to be disassembled to be sure. Madanchi is correct when he advises you to be aware you will void your warranty if you dismantle the laptop.

Please post if you have further questions.

Back
Top Bottom