can any1 tell me bout pentium D?

offdahizzle

Beta member
i'm planning to buy a Pentium D 820 or 915 because i can't afford E6300, is this a good CPU? i mainly edit audio,video and photo but i also create games with Warcraft 3 World Editor. is this a good CPU? any problems with it?

I'd say it's fine if you can't afford the E6300 but I'd look into an AMD dual core. They do a lot better than pentiums for gaming, audio/video editing and they run a bit cooler. Again, if you can afford it. They should be reasonably priced but I haven't looked in awhile. Otherwise, I'd say the Pentium D 820 should be fine. Heck, I've got a Pentium 4 630 that does what I want fine so a Pentium D 820 should be fine for you.

abland007 said:
How good are the Pentium D;s?

honestly, not that great when compared to the new intel core 2 duo, or AMD dual core. The Pentium D runs hotter and its benchmark scores aren't that great compared to core 2 duo or AMD dual core.

I wouldn't get a pentium D. Either try and save some money for the E6300 or then go for an amd x2. Unless you of course already have the mobo for it, then I wouldn't see a point in getting an amd because you would need a new mobo too.

i run a pentium d 950 with a thermaltake blue orb 2 cpu fan and i have absolutely no complaints i do not overclock and i really do not play alot of pc games. i do play warhammer 40k dawn of war and dark crusade with no problems and i currently only have a cheap 512 stick of ddr2 installed. one of my roomates has a pIII and my other roomate has an amd cpu (939)socket. it seems that the old pIII works better than his amd, but then again it all depends on your preference, price spent, and the applications you are working. i have downloaded music, dvd movies, and music videos all while surfing the net and using microsoft word for college. and i have yet to see a temp above 37 degrees celsius.

Yeah, but yours is what...an extreme edition...or was it the 965?
Anyways, the 8xx cores below 840 are crap. The 915, 925 are also...meh...not bad. I'd either get an 840 or 940 for a Pentium D. If you board support Core Duo CPUs, it's best to go there.

lordraptor1 said:
i run a pentium d 950 with a thermaltake blue orb 2 cpu fan and i have absolutely no complaints i do not overclock and i really do not play alot of pc games. i do play warhammer 40k dawn of war and dark crusade with no problems and i currently only have a cheap 512 stick of ddr2 installed. one of my roomates has a pIII and my other roomate has an amd cpu (939)socket. it seems that the old pIII works better than his amd, but then again it all depends on your preference, price spent, and the applications you are working. i have downloaded music, dvd movies, and music videos all while surfing the net and using microsoft word for college. and i have yet to see a temp above 37 degrees celsius.
And what program are you using to get 37oC,Is that your MB temp,Woudnt be your cpu thats for sure.At first fresh boot up yes,but not after 2 minutes.It will be at least 44.

Actually, it's quite bossible. The guy's good a lot of cooling aid and I'm preety sure it can obtain those temps easily.

offdahizzle said:
i'm planning to buy a Pentium D 820 or 915 because i can't afford E6300, is this a good CPU? i mainly edit audio,video and photo but i also create games with Warcraft 3 World Editor. is this a good CPU? any problems with it?
820's run very hot,The 915 is normal,Go for a 945/950/960 dual core.I built a e6700 and returned the proceesor because during testing i found the 960 whips its but with only a 5% oc on reg voltage,theres lots of hype going on to sell those core 2's.I have seen some temps on the core 2 hotter than the D cores.

Back
Top Bottom