Cache

Raymuindo

Baseband Member
Is L2 Cache important for gamers? I might multitask to open up iTunes or the internet while I'm playing a game. I was looking at the AMD 4200 X2, but considered the 4400 because of the extra cache. Is it worth the upgrade?

Raymuindo said:
Is L2 Cache important for gamers? I might multitask to open up iTunes or the internet while I'm playing a game. I was looking at the AMD 4200 X2, but considered the 4400 because of the extra cache. Is it worth the upgrade?
Your system:
Current: Intel P4 2.4ghz, 512mb PC3200 RAM, 80gb IDE, GeForce 6200 128mb, 17" Dell LCD Flat screen

Most games dont really need the cpu, well I played CS:S and when I open taskmanger, it showed the CPU at 4% on opne CS:S.. For gamming you need

- Large Memory / Fast / Stable GPU
- Large / Fast / Stable ram
- Fast internet for low ping..people dont laggy severs lol
- A Current in style CPU, dont have to big. Intel can do.!

Your system I see. Needs more ram, Better GPU than 6200.

Just depends on what game your playing. cs:s isn't a good game to get an example from in my opinon. But it is true not many games take up 100% of your cpu unless your playing bf2. Its mainly ram and video cards now. With L2 cache with games not really. With the new Conroe oh heck yeah thats whats its going to be about because the L2 cache is all on its own instead of being 2 megs per cpu. Just one big l2 cache that the cpus grab from.

Nowadays L2 cache size can greatly have effect on games performance if they use hard objects, high polygon scenes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom