Buying first new computer since 2003

Josh Rider1

Solid State Member
Hey. My main computer that I had since late 2003 (actually ran decently) broke for good about 6 months ago and I've finally saved enough money to buy a new one. I'm looking for something in the range of 1000-1500$ that will manage to run well over the next 3-4 years. I use my computer for internet browsing, photoshop, flash, occasional gaming (RTS, MMORPG, some FPS), heavy downloading, etc. Upon doing some basic researching of the prices of pre-made systems, I went to a custom-made computer store (reputable) and so far have negotiated to have this system built for me:

Intel i7-2600 processor with TurboBoost
16 GB 1333 mhz DDR3 RAM
1.5 TB Hard Drive
24" HD Screen
Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner
Speakers with 60W subwoofer
Radeon 6770 GPU
Keyboard + Mouse
500W Power Supply
All parts from reputatble companies

for 1200$ + Canadian/Provincial Sales tax = 1350$ Canadian Dollars = about 1350$ American

Is this a reasonable price and if not, where can I find better? Will this computer run reasonably fast and be able to handle normal usage for a few years to come?

EDIT: The guy gave me the option to upgrade to i7-2600K, increase the RAM to 1600mhz DDR3, and get a better GPU, but the price would easily go above the range I can afford...

Lower the RAM to 8GB, except make it 1600 mhz, Upgrade the processor to the 2600k, and upgrade the graphics card to a 5770.

NOTE: the 5770 is the same price, yet proven to be better than the 6770 through benchmarks.

Lower the RAM to 8GB, except make it 1600 mhz, Upgrade the processor to the 2600k, and upgrade the graphics card to a 5770.

NOTE: the 5770 is the same price, yet proven to be better than the 6770 through benchmarks.

He said he can't get me the 5770 but will give the 2600K for 50$ more (he said I can fork over more if I want the CPU seriously overclocked....aka a better cooling system + better PS). As for the RAM, he said the price difference will be small...

Is the power supply Dual GPU approved, as adding another graphics card in SLI configuration down the road in a few years will extend its usability longer. But all in all even as configured it's not a bad setup. The faster RAM would be nice, but I used to work in the printing field with photoshop, so the more the better, but you can add more later by yourself when you can afford it, its relatively simple, just make sure they are in 4GB sticks if you get 8GB of 1600. You can get extra yourself cheaper online, about 60 to 80 bucks for 8 GB. But depending on the motherboard 16 could be the max anyways, but 8 GB of 1600MHz would suffice until you could afford more. Take the 2700K for the extra 50 bucks, don't worry about overclocking it, it will be fine. There is always something you could add to make it better, but then the price goes up as well.

Make sure you get modular, and 16GB ram is overkill, get some nice 8GB kit 1600MHz or 1866Mhz with nice timings.

I would go with the 8GB 1600, but upgrading to 16GB later is definitely NOT overkill. I do 3D modeling and you will be surprised what a difference 8GB makes when working with large graphic files. Every time you have to access the HD you slow down and before I upgraded I would wait 10 minutes for some 3D model files to load, now I may have to wait 3. It may be overkill if you just want to play games or surf the web or watch videos, but if you do 3D modeling, video editing, or complicated masking in Photoshop you can never have too much RAM. I plan to add more for a total of 24MB soon and I can guarantee I will see another increase in speed and file management. I work with assemblies that can be 80GB in themselves and when modeling the program has to load the parts you are working on into memory, while unloading other parts, and then reload those when you work on that section.
Gaming is all about the GPU, but modeling and video editing is all about the CPU and RAM with screen redraw regulated to the GPU. You still need a decent GPU if you want to see realistic models, but the main work is done by the CPU and in RAM.

Back
Top Bottom