Building a PC...Fans, Heatsinks, Cooling, and Anything Else I Might Need

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
You don't need a HS since the CPU's come with one stock which isn't that great, but it keeps it cool enough so that it won't explode, but if you are really paranoid than I guess you should get a Zalman since those are really awesome and quiet. Then for thermal paste I would suggest Arctic Silver.

Suggestions:

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Platinum 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Get that in x2 512mb RAM Dual Channel chips since that motherboard supports Dual Channel, and only works if you have two chips which wil give you a badwidth boost and so more speed.

---------------------------------------------------

Wow...excellent Processor...very powerful! :p I see that is important to you, and yes, that should be no problem. I mean, I'm expecting the 3500+ to last me a long time as well, and the FX-55 is much better than that so don't worry.

Plus for the games side if you are spending so much on the CPU. The 6600GT is great and should last you a long time, though its a shame your spending so much on the processor, and not on the video card (it would play new games and more at standard resoloutions at high settings though)

Though if you can afford it, look at the 6800GT or Ultra for size:

This is the GT model and actually comes pre-overclocked to give it more speed as its made by BFG which could be overclocked more to beat the Ultra board anyway if you got that! :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143029

or the Ultra:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143023

That is a tad bit more expensive though, but these cards would last just as long as your processor would in terms of frames per second (about 3 years I'd imagine running at standard res's)

Though note that if you learnt how to overclock the BFG video card a tad bit mroe, you could beat this cards power for games without paying anything more using a program called Coolbits :)

I hope this helps :)

Okay, if I added in another GB of the same memory, would it be okay?

What I'm trying to do right now, is get one 6600GT, and maybe buy another one later on, or maybe trash it and buy a better GPU some time in the future. :D

okay, well you'll need an SLI motherboard in that case, but the one you chose doesn't support 2 at once like that.

If you didn't want to change it, you could always just buy a new graphics card later, though if you got an SLI system, you would get a boost in the future in games.

and yep:

4 x 184-pin Dual channel 266/333/400 DDR SDRAM
Max capacity: 4 GB

so you could get 2x 1gb dual channel ones in that case which would fill up 2 of the 4 slots, and so yeah, that would be great.

Do note though that you probably might not even get a boost unless you did loads of mulittasking.

I would have said to buy 2x512mb at first, see how it goes, and then buy another 2x512mb's to make 2gb later on if you needed it. Though this would fil up all the 4 slots, so you'd have to throw ram away or sell it if you were to upgrade to 3 or 4gb, though 2gb is mroe than enough, and 1gb is probably going to be too ;)

I hope this helps as its up to you that bit :p

You may want to think about adding another fan. That case has three fairly large fans, which should help, but I would think about adding one in the future. Everything else looks great.

Yeah, thoguh that case is great for cooling anyway, and plus, it has a side fan which mine doesn't have to cool parts straight away, like CPU and Video card if you placed it in the direction to be an exhaust.

kewl :) Yeah thats great. SLI eh? :D

Yeah, getting a 1gb stick will be great to start with and no, you won't get dual channel to begin with, though yes it will work.
When you then get another 1gb stick if you decide to, then you'll then get dual channel.

If youre a gamer, maybe wireless keyboard is not the way to go, there is that split nanosecond delay that drives me mad. Just an opinion

Back
Top Bottom