Building a PC??

rickyi14

Baseband Member
hello, im new here...so ive been thinking on building a computer from scratch! i dont have a clue about it tho lol

so the main reason i want this desktop is to run programes like AUTOCAD, Google sketch up and games, especially Farming simulator 2011.

any help on what sort of components i would need would be appreciated?
ive been thinking of,
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T so far, not sure what kind of motherboards graphics cards i should look at that match.
i want 8GB ram
and at least 1TB harddrive

Ello, Ello
Newbie to Newbie here :p since we're both new xD
Any ways straight to the point, I'm surprised you're considering to build a computer from scratch thought without the general knowledge of the components needed. Anyhow, Judging on the things you want your computer to be capable of doing, I'm guessing it is for more graphical type of work, but for me to cad or 3d designing programmes seems to be graphic card intense,
However on the road to helping you, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me a few things
- Budget
- The types of games you are planning to play
- Reason for choosing the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

Thank you :D

Hi, thanks for getting back! I'm not really worried about building it, its more choosing the right components i dont understand. Yea the computer will be used for drawing and 3d modeling of buildings etc. They take up quite alot of room!
Right so id really like to keep it to £600 mark....or i could put it up a few hundred if necessary, or cheaper! lol
Games im planning to play are Football manager and mainly Farming simulator!
i just read about the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T online and read alot of reviews, if you could reccomend a better one it would be appreciated!
Farming sim requirements

Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • 2.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor
  • Nvidia Geforce 6800 Series, ATI Radeon X850, S3 Chrome 430 GT or better (min 256 MB VRAM)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 1 GB free hard drive space
  • Soundcard
  • Active internet connection for activation and multiplayer mode
Autodesk - AutoCAD - System Requirements
Thanks!

Hi
I am also newbie here. I don't understand that you build a pc or simple computer and how you make it?

Hi, im not too sure, ive been reading a few guides online, i just dont understand how to select the right parts. type in custom pc guide into google to see if it helps you?

Hi! back :p
Since the games you're approaching are not as graphic draining as it is, I believe your computer will only need to focus on the requirements of your AUTOCAD programme. lets look at the requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® 7 (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home edition (SP3 or later)
For Windows Vista or Windows 7: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology; for Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
2 GB RAM
2 GB free disk space for installation
1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color
Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later
Install from download or DVD

So maybe in my opinion, 8gb ram may be took much but even I tend to feel reassure computer lags has nothing to do with my rams if this a pile of them. :p But going for rams you'd have to buy ddr3 since they're now more vastly used then ddr2, i'd choose brands such as corsair and kingston, but I'd refuse to get the HyperX from kingston. they don't seem to be nice and very fragile... also you need to check your motherboard compatibility with the rams :p.
Now on to the cpu, since various rivalry came between the Phenom II X6 and the intel Core i7 2600K many would prefer the i7 for that extra POWER however if you choose this path you'd be paying around 80 pounds for for unnecessary power :p in my point of view anyways. I too like the Phenom II X6 since 6 cores really does allows you to multi-task at a new level of brilliance.
The graphic card we'll have to check with everyone's opinion because after this reply, there may be a huge war or a silent one in the choice between Nvidia or ATI, personally ATI seems like a more vaild choice for me xD In long term you seem to get less problems with it after all, anyhow recomending a few:
-HIS HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5
-Sapphire HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
These two are a few of my favourites since the first choice, this card runs really cool and it works well if you're planning to play double graphic cards on a AMD board called 'crossfire for ATI' (although crossfiring is slightly unneeded :p ! note:
Looking at graphic cards people would normally aim for one topic, the clock speed, this how fast the graphic card can run and fire the frames in. You could also look at the around of memory it has too, the memory is how much frames the graphic card can hold before firing them on your screen. P.s if my form of explanation is wrong or confusing, i'd be happy for anyone to correct me.
Since I have less experience in nvidia I'd prefer someone else to give you more advice on that :D

Okey, to the motherboard. On the view of you taking the AMD route i'd say.
-Asus M4A88T-V EVO
-Asus M4A78LT-M
Asus boards have a really stable chip set so it won't die as easily, plus they have something call a turbo key (This you should check out yourself because its REALLY cool :D)
Your CPU cooling fan I'd really recommend: Zalman CNPS9500A-LED Aero Flower its amazingly nice cooling (also you wouldn't need to use a hug fan since you're using amd which doesn't produce as much heat as intel) and it also looks pretty good too :D Plus its really silent!

Now the PSU (power supply!) I found the Coolermaster GX 650W PSU one of the best with a solid strong build (if you're looking at psu the heavier the better if you can lift it up in front of you) Its also small compared to the other psu's which makes it easier to fit in your case! alot of reviews on this psu so check it out!

This should only leave us with the case: which in my opinion I cannot recomend for you, it comes in various styles and lighting which cover a vast majority of people who like them :p so its personally preference in choosing case as well as how well it is built or how silent the fans on it is. :D

All that is really left to do is the little bits such as buying windows, or thermal compound, ect.
And OF COURSE! for you to choose the ingredients inside your computer case :p Good luck! if you have any other questions be sure to ask, we don't bite :D (I hope o.o)

^^^ Thumbs up ^^^
For me i like the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus which for me is awsome!!!
I'm a Intel fan...not very familiar with AMD GPUs. Since you will be using this for some designing,a good CPU would ensure you your computer won't lag when you draw! You can consider the intel i5 series, or i7 if you have the money.
Case-Antec 300 comes with 4 Fans!!! Wellll...no they wont be waiting in line to sign their autographs, but they will make sure your computer would have a large supply of ice cream.

Thanks to uns both! Have a much better idea now, what do you mean by the ingredients, is this like the soundcards, dvd drives etc? also would that setup be able to support the 1tb disk space? or what size of memory would uns recommend?
many thanks for the help!

Thanks to uns both! Have a much better idea now, what do you mean by the ingredients, is this like the soundcards, dvd drives etc? also would that setup be able to support the 1tb disk space? or what size of memory would uns recommend?
many thanks for the help!

Rofl, sorry for my weird terms, I meant ingredients as in the components of your computer xD cuase you need to choose them, we're here to give advice :D but I'm sure IDoNtKn0w could give you a list, and also, it sure will support 1tb! Oh and if you mean memory as in ram i'd say 4-6gb is enough but you know, if it isn't enough, you could always get more :D also I recommend getting DDR3 either 1333 or 1666 Good luck!

aw i get you now! thanks for the advise, im thinking ill just go for the 4-6gb in the mean time to see if i can save a few pound, if i need more i can upgrade at a later stage? thanks

Back
Top Bottom