Building a new computer - seeking advice on selected parts

dopout

Beta member
I'm making a gaming computer. I spent a long time browsing newegg looking at parts, looking up things in descriptions and specs that seemed important, and trying to make sure what i was looking at was all compatable together.

I would appreciate confimation of the compatability of the parts, open to suggestions of changes/reasons. the HD comes bare so i also put a sata cable in the order, was this nessesary? or would cables for that come w. something else like the motherboard (ie: i shouldnt need to buy ne extra cables)?

here are the parts i picked:

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Power supply (650 should be plenty?): CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Hard drive (i should buy sata cable to be able to hook it up?): Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

sata cable for hard drive?: OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Right Angle W/Metal Latch, Silver, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps - OEM

case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

dvd/cd drive/burner: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

Video Card: recycling my ~6month old Geforce 9600 GT by PNY

Sound Card: Should i get one?

Are there any parts i didnt look into and list that i should? (i have a 19" screen ill recycle into the new build, g5 caming mouse already, my dell keyboard suits me fine, as well as speakers).

windows 7 seems to be the operating system to go with?

thanks for your help and advice :)

It looks good, but keep in mind that the 9600 will be a massive bottleneck. As in, you will most likely see little to no difference in gaming performance between your old rig and it, unless your specs are really bad.

The mobo will come with sata cables, and you really won't need a sound card unless you have a really high end sound system.

Great insight, second time hearing that about the video card.

Looks like ill be picking out a new one. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom