Building New Computer: AMD or Intel?

guitardude777

In Runtime
I'm building a new computer and very confused between going with AMD or Intel. I was planning on buying a Pentium Dual-Core e6300 and a gigabyte motherboard, but now i'm discovering how much cheaper the athlon and phenom II's are than the intel dual-core and core 2 duo processors. The AMD's seem to be faster and have basically the same specs as the intels for a lower price. What's the disadvantage of going with AMD instead of intel? And, why are amd motherboards and processors cheaper than intel ones?

AMD is cheaper, Intel is very slightly faster.

Intel is only worth it if you need maximum performance.

Intel is for high end and AMD is for affordable yet impressive performance. You can actually get a very affordable customization with AMD processors and they are very similar in performance to Intel processors (with a whole lot cheaper). The price difference is pretty much due to the brand reputation at the moment.

i've heard really good things about the intel core i5's but those are out of your price range, you could wait until intel releases the core i3

Okay so I bought this motherboard http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2978 with the AMD Phenom II X2 Processor. I was going to buy this board http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3140 , which has an AMD 785G chip vs. the 770 that the board I bought has. There's no performance advantage with with the 785g besides the integrated graphics, right? I decided to go with the 770 board because it has more firewire and USB ports, plus I don't need or want integrated graphics.

It's really just preference. There are generalizations that can be made between the two (such as AMD is better for gaming, AMD's are hotter, Intels have better top end performance...) but really you can only compare classes, not companies. The C2D destroys the phenoms, and the i7 rapes the phenom II's. But in the end it's just preference. Personally, I say intel all the way. I have an E5200 and love it, I can max out pretty much any game I want to (yes, even crysis ;) )

Back
Top Bottom