Building my first computer, need some advice.

Del

Beta member
Hey guys! I'll be building my first computer soon, and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have the basics as to what I'm getting, but I need some help with cables and such. Here's what I'm looking at:

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

-GIGABYTE GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

-XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

-CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model cmx1024-3200c2 - Retail

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Black Chassis: 1.0mm SECC Japan Steel; Front Panel: Aluminum Super Tower Computer Case - Retail

-OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

This will be my setup for at least 3 years, and I'll be using it for gaming and music editing.

Like I mentioned, I don't know what cables or how many I need. I know you guys know your stuff, so if you could throw some advice my way it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow...A powerful machine there for your first build :D

The computer in my specs is the first one i built, and its still running now since I didn't build it that long ago, and it is actually rather easy, so I wouldn't fret :p

As for cables, all the parts you need should come with the components like IDE leads, motherboard screws, etc.
The only thing i would worry about would be the power supply not coming with enough molex power connectors, but that is a good make and so should come with enough, especially since its 512watt.

I would definietly pick up a antistatic bracelet from a computer store though to protect your hands from frying those components while building, as I know for sure there very expensive :p

I'd also check that computer case out, and check if all the fans for all available slots come with it, because if not, it might be worth buying those ones to fill up the spaces to protect your computer from overheating (Usually 90mm fans, because if it is a good case, there will be at least one 120mm fan anyway with it)

Thats all really. Hope I've helped :)

Only if he has the money, I know you can get a nice setup for about 170 USD or so.

If he overclocks with that good a CPU I would definitely go for it if you can afford it, if not get a nice Zalman cooler.

Isn't that CPU..'s basically?... :p

Yeah, water cooling can be a good solution, but for now since its a first build, i'd fill up with fans, learn a bit about water cooling and whats best, and then go for it :)

I'm sure after getting all those compoents, Del wont have 170USD or whatever left for even a cheap one anyway, hehe

Kage,
Thanks that did help a lot! As for the case, according to Newegg it comes with 7 80mm fans, and from the pics the fans do come with it, along with fan controls. My dad has some antistatic braclets and mats, so all should be good there.

I'd go with water cooling, but (1) like Kage mentioned, and he's right, I just don't have the $$ for it, (2) from what I've read if it's not done just right then I can say goodbye to everything, and (3) I don't really plan on overclocking anything, at least not right now.

I CANT WAIT!!!

Just a little tip use the copper screws to hold up the board. The screw has a male and female side and is used to elevate the board off from the case. I have seen many ppl not use those on the first build and ruin their mobo. So use those.

u got a nice peice there. water cooling u dont really need unless ur planning to overclock ur computer a lot and keep it that way. a good fan and wich u have because u have like 7 wich would be good for some overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom