Building my first comp

akira282

In Runtime
Hey, I'm attempting to build my first comp. So far, I've bought an Antec 902 case, i7 920, arctic silver 5, pioneer dvd burner, WD hard disk, and a coolermaster v8.

I'm trying to get the best bang for buck so I haven't decided on a motherboard, which ram to use, and a power supply.

Questions: Which motherboard is the best bang for buck while having good longevity in terms of not having to update it any time soon? Gigabyte?

2. I am looking for the best quality/cheapest modular psu. Any ideas?

3. I will be getting DDR3 ram 3X2gbs, but I'm not sure which is best?

4. Finally, I decided to take a look at the antec case, and this might be silly but one of the ties on the fan molex cable (specifically the 200mm fan) is difficult to un-tie because it's wedged in a crevice to some degree. Any idea how to untie it? Do I have to unscrew the 200mm fan and take it out just to untie it?

Thanks in advance everyone for your comments. Also, when making suggestions keep in mind my goal: best quality for cheapest.

Later,

kyle

You might want to consider posting links in here so we can take a look.

I have had my asus p4p800 in my old comp for almost 5 years, and I keep that beast running almost 24/7 as a server/hosting computer.

I live and die by asus but everyone is going to have something different to say.

Questions: Which motherboard is the best bang for buck while having good longevity in terms of not having to update it any time soon? Gigabyte?
Since you're not overclocking (at least I take it you're not?), the features of the more expensive X58 boards are not needed.
Go with one of the cheaper models: MSI X58 PRO.
2. I am looking for the best quality/cheapest modular psu. Any ideas?
The OCZ ModXStream line is pretty good, this is the 500W model which should run your system fine unless you decide to go crazy on the video card setup.
3. I will be getting DDR3 ram 3X2gbs, but I'm not sure which is best?
I'd go with a 1333 kit with decent timings as i7 doesn't really benefit from anything higher. G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1333
4. Finally, I decided to take a look at the antec case, and this might be silly but one of the ties on the fan molex cable (specifically the 200mm fan) is difficult to un-tie because it's wedged in a crevice to some degree. Any idea how to untie it? Do I have to unscrew the 200mm fan and take it out just to untie it?
I don't really understand what you mean, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to unscrew the fan if that's what has to be done. Try and get it out with a pair of pliers, maybe?

And what about the video card?

Hey Clyde, maybe you want to considering tearing some old computer apart before building a new one from scratch. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom