Build for a friend

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
My friend wants a new system and I talked him into letting me build it for him as to opposed to buying a prebuilt since he doesn't think he can build it. As long as he can talk his dad into letting me build it that is. I have to lol at him because he thinks it's better to have a Best Buy warranty than a manufacturer warranty on every part or something, besides the fact that I want only quality parts, so it should last awhile anyway...

So I came up with an initial build and changed it around a little since. Here's the current one I have it on. He's on a budget of around $550. And I'm right at about $550 with this build. I haven't built a new system since I built mine in October 2007, and a lot has changed since... I didn't really have to worry about budget so much for mine, so I went Intel. This is my first AMD build. and would be my second build I've done of all brand new parts. I've built several P4's from scratch, but they were all used parts.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $24.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 $24.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 $99.99
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W $49.98
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $39.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 $55.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OEM $104.99
Western Digital 250GB 16mb cache SATA HDD - currently owned, $30 to him
A case he picked out, but I couldn't find it (he'll have to show me again), around $40

Since I already have a 250GB HDD sitting around I'm not currently using (got replaced by a 500GB HDD), I am selling mine to him for $30 to save him about $20. For the PSU, I was going with the same one I got in mine, an Antec Trio 550W, but I went cheaper, because it was starting to cost too much. I found the Raidmax with decent ratings, modular power cables, decent price, and LEDs (since he wants them). He won't be doing overclocking so he doesn't need more than a stock HSF I wouldn't think. He said he might have more money to work with, but I'm still trying to figure out if he is even allowed to let me build it first before I try to build something above his budget. You could give me good arguments to use with his dad to get him to go custom built as well, lol.

My friend wants a new system and I talked him into letting me build it for him as to opposed to buying a prebuilt since he doesn't think he can build it. As long as he can talk his dad into letting me build it that is. I have to lol at him because he thinks it's better to have a Best Buy warranty than a manufacturer warranty on every part or something, besides the fact that I want only quality parts, so it should last awhile anyway...

So I came up with an initial build and changed it around a little since. Here's the current one I have it on. He's on a budget of around $550. And I'm right at about $550 with this build. I haven't built a new system since I built mine in October 2007, and a lot has changed since... I didn't really have to worry about budget so much for mine, so I went Intel. This is my first AMD build. and would be my second build I've done of all brand new parts. I've built several P4's from scratch, but they were all used parts.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $24.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 $24.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 $99.99
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W $49.98
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $39.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 $55.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OEM $104.99
Western Digital 250GB 16mb cache SATA HDD - currently owned, $30 to him
A case he picked out, but I couldn't find it (he'll have to show me again), around $40

Since I already have a 250GB HDD sitting around I'm not currently using (got replaced by a 500GB HDD), I am selling mine to him for $30 to save him about $20. For the PSU, I was going with the same one I got in mine, an Antec Trio 550W, but I went cheaper, because it was starting to cost too much. I found the Raidmax with decent ratings, modular power cables, decent price, and LEDs (since he wants them). He won't be doing overclocking so he doesn't need more than a stock HSF I wouldn't think. He said he might have more money to work with, but I'm still trying to figure out if he is even allowed to let me build it first before I try to build something above his budget. You could give me good arguments to use with his dad to get him to go custom built as well, lol.

here are a few questions and suggestions...

dvd burner $4 less...

where are you getting $24.99 for that motherboard...? it's listed at $85.99 before shipping...

ASUS 9600GT for about $20 less, the shipping is a wash because neither one has free shipping and should be the same, if he doesn't have a big monitor this should be fine for him...

the psu may be a little lacking, Raidmax is pretty much known to be a step above generic psus and a few steps below the more well known/respected brands, but the odds are it will power your system just fine...

the G.Skill RAM is a good get at $40 shipped...

if you want to upgrade any parts and spend a few bucks more you could just skip the OS and install Windows 7 and run that for the next few months, meanwhile he could save up his $$ for the OS until then...

That's an IDE drive. I know the mobo can take it, but I don't want to clutter up the case with large wires. I can get a SATA drive and the wires are smaller. Also, the reason I picked that one is it's the best rated one on Newegg. I had that very Lite-On drive on my parents build I made them and it crapped out anyway, so I kinda think I can go $4 more for a quality drive.
where are you getting $24.99 for that motherboard...? it's listed at $85.99 before shipping...
lol, oops. I was copying prices and I guess when I went to copy that price, it didn't copy and pasted the same price as the optical drive.
ASUS 9600GT for about $20 less, the shipping is a wash because neither one has free shipping and should be the same, if he doesn't have a big monitor this should be fine for him...
Is the 9600 about equal to the 4830? I haven;t been in the market for a new system for so long that I really know nothing about graphics cards again...
the psu may be a little lacking, Raidmax is pretty much known to be a step above generic psus and a few steps below the more well known/respected brands, but the odds are it will power your system just fine...
I'll see if i can find something a little better, if not I'm sure the Raidmax will be ok.
if you want to upgrade any parts and spend a few bucks more you could just skip the OS and install Windows 7 and run that for the next few months, meanwhile he could save up his $$ for the OS until then...
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't really know how to get a "legal" copy of Windows 7. I know I can torrent it and use someone else's key or something, but I think for my friend, I'd rather have an OS that's more tested so he's not coming back to me every other day saying something doesn't work...

Is the 9600 about equal to the 4830? I haven;t been in the market for a new system for so long that I really know nothing about graphics cards again...
Not really, the HD 4830 is as fast as or maybe a little faster than the 9800GT. But if he's only got a 15" monitor, the 9600 would be fine.
I'll see if i can find something a little better, if not I'm sure the Raidmax will be ok.
The StealthXStream 500W is only $25 after MIR, that would be a lot better than the Raidmax.

As for his dad, surely you can just sit him down and explain the facts to him. Like how the quality of parts is much higher, and each part comes with a manufacturer's warranty etc.

Alright, he's saying I can build it.

I found this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052 It looks decent. I looked at the StealthXStream 500W, but it's out of stock right now... I might be ordering within the next week, so I dunno when it will be back in.

For the graphics card. He's doing some mid level gaming, but even so he wants a more top of the line type system for what his money can get. I'm pretty sure he;s getting a fairly large monitor as well. Couldn't tell you what size, but larger than 19"... What to get for that graphics card wise? I'm still thinking the 4830...

Anything else you see that could use a change?

Back
Top Bottom