Boot files?

bigmitchdawg

Beta member
hello everyone, this is my first post so bear with me

i just recently installed windows xp on my computer, i have 3 different hard drives

C: 80 gig - windows xp installation
D: 30 gig - Windows vista future installation
F: 20 gig - Backup drive

i installed windows xp on c and formatted it as a NTFS drive, after the installation i did all the installing and prep to install vista on the d drive when i noticed that the d drive had all my boot files on it, Is it possible to move my boot files to the c drive and make it the system disk so that i can install windows vista on the d drive and ba able to boot from either one?? any help would be appriciated! thx

Which boot files? The xp boot files? If you are doing everything from scratch I would say just reinstall xp on C:, install vista on D:, and format F: ntfs.

hello everyone, this is my first post so bear with me

i just recently installed windows xp on my computer, i have 3 different hard drives

C: 80 gig - windows xp installation
D: 30 gig - Windows vista future installation
F: 20 gig - Backup drive

i installed windows xp on c and formatted it as a NTFS drive, after the installation i did all the installing and prep to install vista on the d drive when i noticed that the d drive had all my boot files on it, Is it possible to move my boot files to the c drive and make it the system disk so that i can install windows vista on the d drive and ba able to boot from either one?? any help would be appriciated! thx

Check out this website for 'dual booting'..works perfectly for me and it's detailed.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm

Matt

are you using separate hard drives, or one drive that has been partitioned?

To answer Celegorm:
i have 3 different hard drives

So are you telling us that your XP files are on C and the boot files are on D?

edit: Post 5,000 =[

I didn't want it to come until my CF anniversary. I guess I'll just have to post 100x a day so I can make it at 6,000 :p:rolleyes:

^^Thanks, I didn't see that.

I wonder, is the d drive the mast drive on the chain (Assuming it's all IDE)?

Back
Top Bottom