Boot Disk

yeeboo

Solid State Member
I bulit a computer and im trying to make a boot disk, so that i can get windows to boot up so i can install it, but whenever i try to make one it says something about a Memory loss error, abort, retry, ignore, fail?. I dunno what the heck is going on.

If you're installing XP, all you need to do is set the BIOS to boot to CDROM, insert the XP CD and reboot. Be sure to watch for the prompt saying to press any key to boot to CD. Once you do so, Windows setup will take over. From there you can format, partition and install the OS.

Here's a step by step guide.

Thanks. I have a new problem now, for some reason i cannot get my sound to work. Whenever i try to install the driver it says that my, Audio driver files do not support your computer hardware. Ive tried to do it from the CD, and i also d/l the files sepretly from the website and i get the same message.

Are you using the onboard sound, or do you have a dedicated sound card...You might have got confused and tried installing the onboard's drivers instead of the dedicated...Whats your motherboard?

Matt

Yea sorry about that, i meant to list everything. Im using the onboard sound cuz i dont wanna get a soundcard, the M/B is and ASUS M2NPV-VM, the only thing i dont have installed is the lil HD video thing, which i dont think has anything to do with the sound from my speakers.

Also, I do not have any of the Service packs Installed yet, would that have an affect on it?

You tried using the SoundMax AD1986A Audio WHQL Driver V5.10.01.4151 for Windows 2000/XP from the Asus site and it didn't work?

Edit:
Try right clicking the onboard sound in the device manager and selecting install drivers. Then point it to the Asus motherboard install CD.

If installing the drivers Atomic Rooster suggested doesn't work, you may have a faulty motherboard i'm sorry to say..

Matt

I downloaded this file, http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=36083, i could not find anything on the asus website, whenever i searched fer anything it ouwldne give me any links. It seemed like the right driver but it still gave me the same error. it wouldnt surprize me if the board was shot, since this is the second one this week thats been screwed up, i have an M2n32-SLIDeluxe, thats dont work at the moment. I think i have an old sound card here somewhere i might try tomorrow and see what happens.

Passerv, I installed XP.

Do not write off the mainboard, it's very unlikely it's just the sound chip f****d. Keep poking at it!!!

Back
Top Bottom