Bogged Down CPU

ACES WILD

Daemon Poster
Hey CF been awhile :D
anywho, my problem is this....
Recently one of my friends asked me to do a reformat, reinstall for him. So i Re-installed XP pro, yada yada yada. I get all his old programs installed, latest driver versions etc. But now Whenever any program is running its like i cant multitask at all, as in any program firefox, Itunes, Gtalk, Yahoo, etc running alone they are taking up 92-95% of the cpu load. This means that whenever im trying to multitask at all the performance is decreased signifigantly, I.E i cant run itunes and Mozilla at the same time or the audio will slow down and the mouse will cease to move etc. Before this most recent reformat, everything was fine, multitasking like a champ (or at least as far as budget PCs are concerned), running WoW, Itunes, yim at the same time just fine. So im wondering if the proc is just going bad, it is a few years old. Ive checked goodmem multiple times as well to see if it may have been lack of ram but its still sitting at about 650mb free when running mozilla and itunes.
System in questions Specs:
-AMD athlon XP 3200+ Barton Core
-MSI MS-6570E Socket A mobo
-1gig Mushkin pc-3200 (512mbx2)
-AGP 8x BFG6600GT 128mb
-Seagate 7200rpm 80GB IDE
-Windows XP Proffesional Sp1

I had lost my SP2 Disk a few months back, ive sent into microsoft for another one, but could sp1 be the issue? would that really bog down the proc like that? any help or insights would be greatly appreciated

Check task manager and tell me what else is running when you try to multitask.

test.jpg

Programs running on screen: Firefox, Google talk, Itunes

Ya, there are some updates to download, probably alot. But i think sp2 contains all the previous updates prior to it, the sp2 disk should be in today or tommorow. dont really feel like downloading more windows updates than i need to since my internet connection is horrible >.<

----------------------------Edit---------------------------------------------
Installed sp2 and all currently available windows updates, system idle process still taking over 90% of the cpu usage. any thoughts on what could be up with that?

Back
Top Bottom