blue screen error: irql_not_less_than...

dvp

Beta member
I have a ibm t30 laptop, running windows xp pro. I've had it for 3 months, a practically new refurbished model, using it mostly for learning to program VB, SQL etc. Anyway, i recently upped the ram from 512mb to 1024mb, the laptop worked fine, recognised the extra ram, all is good. The last i remember was installing extra ram, installing sql server 2005, and installing more security protection and utilities such as system mechanic, avg, etc.

Anyway i have the blue screen wall of death, with the IRQL_ Not_les_than_ equal message. I assumed it was the ram so I've removed the extra ram, no change. Problem is i cant even boot using f12 from my xp pro installation cd !! I cant use safe mode, boot from cd, hard drive, anything ! It just loops round and round from asking for safe mode, last good config etc, a few seconds of the windows logo screen before back to the blue screen for 2 seconds, and then back to the safe mode, last good config page etc etc. I've tried downloading the recovery cd file z501_setup_rnr41c.exe and others off the lenovo site, nothing works. I have tried booting via pressing f12 and selecting the cd-drive, even tried via hard drive and removeable with no luck.

The blue screen appears for about 2 seconds so its very difficult to see, but having seen it a few times now here's vaguely what was written:

It was asking me to check for any recent hardware or software that was installed. All i can check was the ram, it was the only change i have made since i bought the laptop, which has been removed leaving just the original 512mb ram chip in place.

Mentioned something about disabling the bios memory options, such as cacheing or shadowing, which i dont know how to do. The f1 facility on startup doesnt give me a lot of options on the bios to change anything.

Also mentioned: technical specification:

Stop: 0x0000000a, (0x18001700 , 0x00000002, etc...)

can anyone help?

I had the same problem. I threw my hard drive away and bought a new one. Worked great. Not sure how helpful that is, but I don't know how to solve that error without a Boot disc.

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
That's what that code means.

NOT a virus

I'd agree with your HD getting ready to bite the dust, toss in your XP cd and go to the recovery console and run chkdsk and see how much bad stuff it finds. If its excessive...well you know.

you also might have to run fixmbr as well.

I think its the new RAM. Replace it ASAP, and you probably won't get the error anymore.

Back
Top Bottom