Blu ray internal drive to USB?

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi there,

My laptop does not have a dvd drive.

I was thinking I will buy an external one. Then I thought, it would also be good to be able to play blu ray.

The problem is, external blu ray players are expensive!

If I was to buy an internal Sata blu ray drive and then buy a Sata to USB cable, if I was to connect that to my laptop - would it work? This would be quite a bit cheaper.

I could even get a blu ray re-writer (not sure I would have much use for this though!).

Many thanks

You won't need a burner then so go ahead and install the player. It is backward compatible.

Internal drives need power cables that come from the PSU. Even if you convert the data signals, you'd still need to find a way to provide power.

I'm not sure how you would do that with a Laptop. Alternatives would be a bit messy from what I've seen, but it's definitely possible.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Here: https://youtu.be/gkIwHxeKC40

Yes, those external USB drive bay things are just the same shaped slot as a laptop drive with a sata connector at the back.

You can do it (I have done it.)

don't worry about spending extra on USB3, Blueray VC-1 is around 20mbps bitrate and USB is about 3 times faster.

You want something to get power to the drive,
I've use an old Dell Power vault external tape drive chassis -it's just a power supply, switch and 5.25" bay that once had a tape drive, obviously you can rip all the SCSI stuff out of something like that.

Back
Top Bottom