Blu-Ray burner coming out this year

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
This is a very preliminary assumption as both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray standard have been going through a few problems as of lately. Blu-ray itself has been seeing delays one after another. Sony's PlayStation 3 console has been pushed back several times due to Blu-ray issues.

BenQ company however, has announced that it is going forward with its plans to release a Blu-ray burner within the year. The device will jump ahead of other Blu-ray drives that will be read-only at the beginning. The standard for writable Blu-ray discs were thrown out when the original specification was drafted by Sony, but as with previous optical standards such as DVD and CD, burners came after read-only drives. BenQ says that it already has working Blu-ray burner prototypes, and isn't far from an actual public release. HD-DVD looks promising too so things are heating up now.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=6311&www.dailytech.com

You don't know what blu-ray is?

Its a new type of disc that uses a blue laser to be read that has a shorter wavelength (405 nanometers) than a red laser (650 nanometers). The smaller beam focuses more precisely, enabling it to read information recorded in pits that are only 0.15 microns (µm)

The discs as of now can store 25gb one sided, or 50gb dual layer, though discs are coming that can hold more than 200gb dual layer.

its fighting to be the next sucessor for DVD playing in high definintion, but I believe its main purpose should be for more computer backup as well.

It'll be used as the disc medium on the Sony PS3.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/blu-ray.htm

wow dood thats sweet i may need ot buy one of those. :p lol dose any one know the price rage when they launch?

It'll be an awful lot, and more so for the rewritable drives, but like DVD, prices will drop.

I read this though on that How Stuff Works page:

"Even when the new video standard begins to replace current technologies, consumers won't have to throw away their DVDs, but they will need to invest in a new player. The industry is planning to market backward-compatible drives with both blue and red lasers, which will be able to play traditional DVDs and CDs as well as Blu-ray discs."

I knew that was possible.

Back
Top Bottom