Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/)
-   Hardware (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/)
-   -   BIOS updating (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/bios-updating-148420.html)

Pidge14 07-28-2006 12:41 AM

BIOS updating
 
alright, so my one friend says that my other friend needs to update his BIOS so it will recognize the new hard drive. Would this help the BIOS detect it? and if so how do i update the BIOS, my one friend said its complicated. Help please.

X1337 07-28-2006 12:44 AM

Re: BIOS updating
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidge14
alright, so my one friend says that my other friend needs to update his BIOS so it will recognize the new hard drive. Would this help the BIOS detect it? and if so how do i update the BIOS, my one friend said its complicated. Help please.

you should get a program. Like my Driver c.d that came with the mobo has a BIOS flasher, and to be more safe it will connect to the internet and find the newest BIOS of your mobo and flash it. What type of mobo ( Motherboard ) do you have

Deathstar 07-28-2006 01:36 AM

Re: BIOS updating
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X1337
.... What type of mobo ( Motherboard ) do you have

and what size is the drive, also what OS?

X1337 07-28-2006 01:37 AM

Re: BIOS updating
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathstar
and what size is the drive, also what OS?

how does the size of the drive have to do with the flash size.. most of the are 512KB or 4MB max lol unless your talking about the Flash drive that has the BIOS than that is diffrent

prosser13 07-28-2006 10:38 AM

Re: BIOS updating
 
What are you on about X1337?

OK - go to the download page for the motherboard, and take a look. Differences should be listed, and if its an old motherboard it might make a difference.

Some manufacturers, such as Abit, include Driver CDs with their motherboard with flash utilities on - take a look on the makers website for one of these.

setishock 07-28-2006 04:29 PM

Re: BIOS updating
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X1337
how does the size of the drive have to do with the flash size.. most of the are 512KB or 4MB max lol unless your talking about the Flash drive that has the BIOS than that is diffrent

It may be if the OS is not rated to handle the size of the drive then it doesn't reconize it. I think that's what he was on to. Which could be the root problem.

It would be nice if people would post what OS and what motherboard and what drive, when asking about hardware issues.

Deathstar 07-28-2006 04:51 PM

Re: BIOS updating
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X1337
how does the size of the drive have to do with the flash size.. most of the are 512KB or 4MB max lol unless your talking about the Flash drive that has the BIOS than that is diffrent

See below

Quote:

Originally Posted by setishock
It may be if the OS is not rated to handle the size of the drive then it doesn't reconize it. I think that's what he was on to. Which could be the root problem.

It would be nice if people would post what OS and what motherboard and what drive, when asking about hardware issues.

That is precisely what I was on to, thank god someone else approaches trouble shooting from the same perspective I do.



Bios flashing is only applicable if the flash corrects known issues or offers new options, (read the new bios read me file to see what the new bios offers) in this case it may well be that a flash is required to enable large hdd support, but it is not a decision to be made without considering all variables, willy nilly flashing your bios is just plain stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prosser13
.....OK - go to the download page for the motherboard, and take a look. Differences should be listed, and if its an old motherboard it might make a difference.

Some manufacturers, such as Abit, include Driver CDs with their motherboard with flash utilities on - take a look on the makers website for one of these.

More excellent advice


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0