BIOS issue?

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I'm working with a dell optiplex A machine w/ a PII and for some reason when it boots up I can't use the keyboard or mouse. I tried taking the battery off of the motherboard and restarting and then putting it back in and that didn't work. When it goes into the BIOS it says "keyboard error, press CTRL + ALT + ENTER TO ENTER SYSTEM SETUP" which I can't do because the keyboard doesn't work. I have the keyboard setup through PS/2 and tried both ports, didn't work. The mouse was setup through USB and that didn't work either when windows would boot up. I'm thinking the keyboard could be dead because I tried another keyboard via USB but that won't work with the BIOS.

I'm confused as to what to do now? any thoughts?

Have you tried a different PS2 keyboard? Also, check the mini-DIN connections on the back of the mainboard- are there any pins broke off in there? (May be hard to see). The USB function probably has to be enabled via the BIOS, of which you can't get into at the moment. Try the above suggestions, and if they don't work, I'm not sure what you had planned for this board, but chances are you may have to toss it. I can't think of anything else to check right now.

pctechmike said:
Have you tried a different PS2 keyboard? Also, check the mini-DIN connections on the back of the mainboard- are there any pins broke off in there? (May be hard to see). The USB function probably has to be enabled via the BIOS, of which you can't get into at the moment. Try the above suggestions, and if they don't work, I'm not sure what you had planned for this board, but chances are you may have to toss it. I can't think of anything else to check right now.

thanks. I'm thinking it may be the keyboard since the keyboard my friend's dad tested it on worked fine with it. my USB keyboard worked fine too but no bios function came with it so i'll have to go dig up a USB to PS/2 adapter.

EDIT: alright finally fixed it. just hooked up a USB to PS/2 adapter into my current keyboard and got it working fine.

Back
Top Bottom