best to wait? (graphic card)

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so i am thinking of replacing my X1950, and i was seeing some cards on newegg, and it seems that the 3xxx series are pretty cheap, i was looking at the sapphire one for about $170, Sapphire HD 3870, 512 MB GDDR4, 256 Bit.
but as i was researching, i found that theres going to be a new series coming out, the ati HD 4xxx series coming out this/next month.
should i get this card anytime soon (around this to next week)
or should i wait till the 4xxx series come out, and "try" to get a 4xxx, but might only be able to get a low end, since i am only willing to pay $170 since i need a new MOBO, when i buy a new card.
or wait till the 4xxx series come out, and see if the 3xxx series get a price drop. will there be a price drop?
and as for a mobo, might take me awhile to get crossfire, or might not be able to seeing how fast the graphics card generation go by. I only had my X1950 for 6 months..... so should i get one with 2 pci 2.0 slots, or 1 pci 2.0 slot?
i am only thinking of getting a new card and mobo, so please do not suggest me any other upgrades for now.
i am going to use my current build (on my sig)
not sure about the compatibility on them, but i will post links of what i am thinking of getting later since i am currently at school, and takes time to copy and paste link on a mac...
thanks in advance

The HD 4850 will be ~$200-$250. Expect closer to $250 as there is going to be high demand if RV770 is all it's cracked up to be. If you can find a HD 3870 for ~$165 then it's a very good deal especially if you do the pencil Vcore mod which can yield core clocks of up to almost 1GHz. There are also a few 8800GTs around for about $180 so that's not a bad deal either. But it's likely the HD 48xx series will be out of your price range when they come out. The GDDR3 HD 4850 will be your best bet though.
see if the 3xxx series get a price drop. will there be a price drop?
There already has been a price drop and there might be another one when RV770 is released but don't expect it to be a big one.
so should i get one with 2 pci 2.0 slots, or 1 pci 2.0 slot?
All the current AMD chipsets have PCI-E 2.0 support. The 790X which has Crossfire 8x+8x support will cost you $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130138
If you aren't be doing Crossfire straight away then there's really no point. Just keep with the mobo you're currently using as there will probably be another much more powerful single card available by the time you want to do Crossfire.
And PCI-E 1.1 won't be a limiting factor as no cards currently use all of it's bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom