The Best PCI (not PCI-E) card

BaptizedByFire

Beta member
Okay guys, hopefully you can help me. Back in the late 90s or so, I used to be pretty big into gaming. Over the last 7 years or so, I've fallen out of it and don't know anything about anything computer tech related anymore.

Recently though, I got invited to a LAN party and started feeling nostalgic. I fully intend to go to the LAN, but my computer is...frankly, crap. It's an office PC handmedown, obviously not intended for any gaming.

What I'm working with is a Dell Dimension 2400:

2.2 ghz P4
1.25 GB RAM (I can bump it up to 2GB)
Integrated Graphics
**3 PCI slots only!**

The unfortunate thing about this computer is that it lacks either an AGP or PCI-E slot for any decent modern video cards. All that I have are the 3 PCI slots mentioned above. I'm not planning on building a new PC at the moment; I just need the very best possible regular PCI video card. Figuring out which card to get is turning out to be a bit harder than I thought. I'm hearing a lot of conflicting things, basically coming down to Geforce FX5500 256MB and the Geforce 6200 PCI version. So to sum up, which card would you all recommend? I'm not expecting miracles with a PCI slot, but I'd like to take what I have to the very max. Thanks all.

Sidenote: I think that Battlefield 2 will be one of the main games they'll be playing, so running that would be my main priority. If that's not possible, then I'll take what I can work with.

This is the 5500 I was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143032

Finding the 6200 seems to be a bit more tricky

I know they make a 7600 pci version, I just need to find it, they used to have it one new egg but its gone now

Back
Top Bottom