best AV and firewall as individuals

For free antivirus apps, I would suggest either AVG or Avast. I hear Commodo is another good one.

I generally don't run a software firewall as my router has a more secure hardware solution. But in general, the Windows Defender program works as well as any other.

do you need them to be free ones? if so, AVG or Avast as suggested are good. for pay ones, i have always used McAfee with the windows firewall. are you using windows? xp, vista? linux? apple? if vista, it has a two way firewall, if xp has just incoming firewall. maybe zone alarm for two way free firewall. Norton is good too, but may use more system resourses from what i've heard....although probably not much more than mcafee does.

I only suggested the free apps as I don't see the need to have to pay for an antivirus program when the free ones work just as well.

I used to have Norton years ago until my subscription ran out. I didn't want to pay for a new subscription, so i went with AVG and never looked back. To this day I have never been infected with a virus. I have had my bouts with malware due to visiting certain sites, but it was never anything serious enough that Ad-Aware or Spybot couldn't handle.

have you checked with your ISP to see if you get any of the normally paid anti-virus software free with your internet service? just thought i'd mention that because i get McAfee anti-virus and/or firewall free because i have verizon with msn premium, and mcafee anti-virus comes free with my internet service subscription. i just use the anti-virus though as i like the windows firewall better than the mcafee one.

Back
Top Bottom