Best AMD

just5commas

Solid State Member
I am building a new computer for mainly gaming purposes and I am wondering what the best AMD socket 939 chip is. By best I mean most power for the money. For example is the 3800+ really worth the extra $120 over the 3000+?I want to be able to run the new games (such as HL:2 and Doom 3) on high settings. I will be using a 6600GT and 1GB ram. What would you suggest here?

What's your budget? I would get a 3200+ and just overclock it massively. A 6600gt would be a good choice, just get an sli mobo to add another card later. Actually, I would get a 6800gs and have better performance. 1gb of ram is fine.

Definitely the 3000+, but if that doesn't provide you with enough power, then of course, you'll need something faster, but 3000+ should be good enough for most stuff.

I suggest a 144 opteron, or a 170 opteron. Overclocking heaven. 3.0Ghz+ on air.

Yeah, true. However, your best bet is just to get a 3200+ or a 3500+ which can run pretty much any game pretty darn fast.

the opterons come with 1MB L2, compared to 512k L2, for a little decrease in clock speed. But all in all, i think its worth it.

Yes, the increase in cache might be worth it in games, but I think overall, clock speed is better.

Back
Top Bottom