bad timing for computer screw up

redflag69

Solid State Member
Hi, guys, new to the forums :)

I opened firefox today, to find that my google isnt really responding. if I enter a URL then occasionally it works, but google is completely unresponsive.

I ran a scan with Avast! and cleaned out 4 trojans, but that didnt change anything. Im writing off another computer btw.

So, anyone have any insight on how to solve this? This doesnt look like something that requires formatting, although my computer's due for a format soon anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, have you tried opening up Google in Internet Explorer to check its not sudden fault with Firefox?

If it opens up fine, it may be worth checking for an update of Firefox, or un-installing and trying over with the latest update (save bookmarks first), just incase, in updating automatically, it's corrupted itself somehow.

ah, I should have mentioned that too, my bad on that. Yes, I tried in IE and I updated firefox to the newest version. Neither yielded any results.

If you've got a firewall or a router and know enough about settings, check and see if the virus didn't somehow block an IP address that would correspond to google.

Am I right in thinking that other sites open up, but not all the time, and Google doesn't open up at all?

I could try checking out the firewall settings, although I dont see how anything should have been configured since yesterday.

And yes, you are mostly right, but google opens, but any search I enter does not process and does not open a new page.

EDIT: to poster above, do you mean you just reinstalled firefox and defragged? As soon as Im done writing my essay and can go home, I'll run a defrag. Thanks :)

yes that is what i did, worked for me, not sure about you though, it worked in safe mode without the defrag, so you can try that to see if you had the same problem as me. Good Luck

Cool, thanks everybody.

As a thought, does anyone think that this is the work of a virus or worm? If it is, then I guess I complete format would fix that, no?

Back
Top Bottom