AVI Files cause "Encountered Problem" Error

karling07

Daemon Poster
Every time I open up ANY .avi file in Windows Media Player, Media Player classic, or even windows Movie Maker, I immediately get an error about encountering a problem and needing to close immediately...

How can I fix this? I have all codecs installed that I need and it used to work fine... I dont rmemember changing anything

Thanks

.avi files are not supported by windows media player, that's an apple format I beleive, and you should be able to open them using apple's quicktime player which you can get for free http://www.apple.com/quicktime/win.html

EDIT :: disregard, .avi files are supported by windows media player. I was thinking of apple's video format which will not play in windows media player. I have a kodak easyshare camera, and the video clips it makes only play with quicktime, and not windows media player....sorry, thought those were .avi files, but i guess not...

What???.... Avi is a Windows Media Player format too. Its not catorgarised just for one player...

It stands for Audio Video Interlaced, so its a standard format. Its just the codecs you can use within it that stop it from working...

Though that is a very weird problem, and isn't very good at all.

When did this start happening?

Is it possible you can use System Resotre to go back a day or so to fix it if its only just occured?

Maybe also re-installing Windows Media Player will fix it, as the codecs will have to be cleanly installed then, so thats your first port of call. Some might have gotten corrupt somehow.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom