Automatic Power down

Parkins8

Baseband Member
Hey all, I have a gateway computer that I am working on that didn't turn on one day and since then the power button won't turn it on at all. If you unplug the powersupply and plug it back in, it will start to boot up but automatically shut down after 5 seconds...any ideas???

Thanks, Parkins8

Parkins8 said:
Hey all, I have a gateway computer that I am working on that didn't turn on one day and since then the power button won't turn it on at all. If you unplug the powersupply and plug it back in, it will start to boot up but automatically shut down after 5 seconds...any ideas???

Thanks, Parkins8
Your power supply is not conected properly to a choice of power on or reset.Have a good look,just learned this.
:D

Thanks, i did look at that, the thing is, the computer has worked fine for a long time, then one day it just would not turn on...and here I am troubleshooting....any ideas....thanks

Parkins8 said:
Thanks, i did look at that, the thing is, the computer has worked fine for a long time, then one day it just would not turn on...and here I am troubleshooting....any ideas....thanks
Well won't turn on could mean you blew the mbd and hopefully nothing else.
5 seconds,well thats confussing.Do any hd or cd drive lights come on ?
5 seconds,is the monitor ok ? what do you see ? Can you get to the bios quick enough ?
:confused:
Sorry to say but **** happens.
:mad:

Hey, i think the MotherBoard is messed up, i took a good powersupply from another comp i have and it still does the same thing, i changed the batter on the motherboard and still nothing, i don't know what else it could be, its weird though, 1 out of 100 times it will boot up, regardless i think the motherboard is gone...yes...ideas...thanks again

I would say it sounds like the motherboard has gone too. Chances that something else hasn't gone to is silm sorry geezza.

Just might be

I have talked to a local friend "same deal" start with mbd.
When this happened to me.In my case everything was blown.It was still guaranteed.All relpaced.
Where are you on this ?

Hey, i have checked the PS, HD, CPU, Power cord, power outlet, and nothing. Like i said it will come on and turn off automatically after about 5 seconds. after that, it does one of three things, it will either work with the power switch and turn off again after the 5, or I will need to unplug it and plug it back in and it will work fot the 5 seconds or lastly, I will unplug it and then have to wait about a minute before it will do anything, I am really leaning towards the MoBo, but still working on it....?? Thanks,

Parkins8 said:
Hey, i think the MotherBoard is messed up, i took a good powersupply from another comp i have and it still does the same thing, i changed the batter on the motherboard and still nothing, i don't know what else it could be, its weird though, 1 out of 100 times it will boot up, regardless i think the motherboard is gone...yes...ideas...thanks again

yeah - sounds an arwful lot like the motherboard - or maybe the RAM?

Hey, thanks, I put new RAM in and it worked for about 15 minutes, but after that when i tried to restart and it does the same thing...if i leave the comp plugged in, about every 4 mintues it tries to start up but shuts down after the 5 seconds...?? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom