ati graphics card - nvidia chipset?

Solid State Member
i am considering getting this graphics card:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-112-AS

"Asus ATI Radeon X1650 Pro Gamer Edition HTD 256MB GDDR3 HDTV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)"

my motherboard is this one except the other version of it:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-145-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=807

"Asus M2NPV-VM Micro ATX (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard"

the motherboard has an nforce 430 southbridge nvidia gpu 6150 northbridge (currently using the 6150 intergrated graphics to umm output video.) would the ATI card work in the nvidia-based motherboard, or would i run into compatibility issues? thanks. i know i would have to uninstall the graphics drivers before inserting the ATI card, but anything else?

yep. Also while disabling the onboard vid card in the bios you might aswell change the primary display to pci-e. It's not something you have to do though since the mobo should automatically detect that it's the only working vid card and start using it. But at least check that it's either pci-e or automatic. (or similar)

yep. Also while disabling the onboard vid card in the bios you might aswell change the primary display to pci-e. It's not something you have to do though since the mobo should automatically detect that it's the only working vid card and start using it. But at least check that it's either pci-e or automatic. (or similar)
my bios has 2 options about the graphics basically - first boot graphics device (already pci-e, thats the default, but it sees nothing in the pci-e slot and goes to onboard- other 2 options are pci and onboard) and a setting about how much memory to take for onboard graphics (once accidently set it to 0 and had to reset the CMOS).

I honestly wouldn't reccommend using an ATI with an NForce chipset, unless you just don't count on OC'ing. I've never had luck with that combination, especially now since AMD is with ATI, and AMD's work so well with NVidia's...

Hmm...

Be sure that your monitor cable is compatible. If I am correct, this card has no VGA.

I honestly wouldn't reccommend using an ATI with an NForce chipset, unless you just don't count on OC'ing. I've never had luck with that combination, especially now since AMD is with ATI, and AMD's work so well with NVidia's...

Hmm...

I doubt he will be doing any overclocking. He has been using an intergrated card for uhm... How long?

Back
Top Bottom