Athlon 3500+ OC Ability

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
How much could a person OC this CPU before needing aftermarket cooling, in theory? I know individual results would vary, but assuming you were running 2 120mm stock fans in a case in a fairly well ventilated area, how far could you push the bar before you'd need to worry about heating issues?

Where are the fans placed?

But probablly oc it around... 400mhz more.. maybe. hell i dont know.. im not good with this stuff :rolleyes:

Placement does matter since there are different positions that will produce varying airflow. But assuming that one fan is sucking in air from the front and the other is blowing out the back (the usual positions) you can probably overclock from the stock 2.2Ghz to 2.5 or 2.6Ghz (about 300-400Mhz more like arrizX said). I've only pushed my 3500+ to 2.5Ghz without any noticeable increase in temperatures but thats with one more 80cm fan on the side of the case. A person could probably go higher I think.

Distortion88 said:
Placement does matter since there are different positions that will produce varying airflow. But assuming that one fan is sucking in air from the front and the other is blowing out the back (the usual positions) you can probably overclock from the stock 2.2Ghz to 2.5 or 2.6Ghz (about 300-400Mhz more like arrizX said). I've only pushed my 3500+ to 2.5Ghz without any noticeable increase in temperatures but thats with one more 80cm fan on the side of the case. A person could probably go higher I think.

Just looked at the case, and that looks like the situation..

Depends how you use it. If you are a hardcore gamer, then sure there is a difference. There is a noticeable difference loading textures, and so fourth, although that also is dependant on your ram, and video card. Just depends.. SO tell me, what are your specs?

I don't actually have this card yet, it's part of my custom-built CPU I'm planning. Check my thread "My Proposed Custom Build - Critique". I'd like more input from people anyway.

The specs are that card, 256 mb GeForce 6800GS, 2 GB OCZ ValueRam running dual-channel.

No, odds are you wont see a major jump. But im sure you will see some "improvment" although thats a kick computer anyways.. oh well, sorry, im heading to bed now.

Back
Top Bottom