Asus A7v And AMD Athlon xp2000+

muz

Golden Master
basically i have an asus a7v and it had an amd athlon 1100 in it , now that has broken but i have a spare amd athlon xp 2000+ now i have but the athlon xp in and it is running at 1.26 ghz yet the 2000+ is 1.7 , anyone know if i can get it to work

Go into the BIOS and adjust it in there. Cant remember the setting off the top of my head.

Raffaz said:
Go into the BIOS and adjust it in there. Cant remember the setting off the top of my head.
i think it was 133 cos in the other mobo i had the fsb was 266 and that is double the 133 , bbut when i set it to that the computer wont post again , i mught try the voltage in a bit though what is the highest voltage for a 2000+ think it is 1.75

Raffaz said:
are there any steps inbetween that?
what the fsb or the voltage , i just checked it was 1.75 in the other comp so i will set it to that here

the FSB, i dont think you will need to up the voltage to run it at stock speed

Raffaz said:
the FSB, i dont think you will need to up the voltage to run it at stock speed
yeah but i dont think this mobo was orgonally designed for the athlon xp cos i just checkd the asus website and it just says athlon and duron

and the fsb goes up in steps of 1mhz , i get to like 115 then it wont boot again ,

Raffaz said:
You might need to update the BIOS to support it then.
just reading bout that now , i am going to try that then if no luck go to bed , try again in the morning with an empty mind

also what is the multiplier on an amd athlon xp 2000 polamino is it 12.5

Just found this

Will a AthlonXP run in a A7V / A7V133 /A7V266 etc. that does not officially support it?

The AthlonXP might work on non-AthlonXP compatible A7V series Mainboards, too - even on the old A7V KT133. The newer A7V BIOSes, for example, include code to support the AthlonXP and Duron 1Ghz and up. But noone will guarantee that it will work - so don't count on it. You might get almost any AthlonXP to boot, but that does not mean it will run stably and reliably. I read that AMD told people that the AthlonXP will only run reliably with 133Mhz FSB - so unlocking it and running at 100Mhz FSB with higher multiplier might get you into trouble.

In my opinion this compatibility or incompatibility comes from the fact that between Athlon and AthlonXP the specification for the processor bus has been changed. As far as I know for AthlonXP so called "L-C-L" Filters are needed, which are NOT implemented on older mainboards. Without these filters it depends on how the production tolerances of CPU, Chipset, Mainboard etc. affect each other. Either it does simply not boot, it works unstably, or it works perfectly. Noone can tell you if your combination will work - even if others have had success with a certain combination, it might or might not work for you. So only try using AthlonXPs on mainboards that are 100% fit for the purpose (see tables and links below). If you want to try on a not officially compatible board, than be prepared to run into trouble.

Especially on the A7V the biggest drawback is it's low FSB of 100Mhz, while AthlonXPs are designed fior 133Mhz. So the resulting speed at a given multiplier is lower than it should be. Overclocking the FSB is a very bad idea in my opinion, because on one hand the A7V doesn't overclock well, on the other hand FSB overclocking overclocks everything - from RAM to IDE. Only do so if you regard the data on your PC as expendable.

EDIT

Heres the link to the full post
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/cpu/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom