Apply thermal compound to a quad-core?

aowen416

Daemon Poster
I looked at instructions on Arctic Silver's site for applying thermal compound to a quad-core:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

..that line seems awfully thick/large, and seems quite contradictory to the 1/2 grain of rice rule. Should I really apply that much?

Also, I want to redo the thermal compound on my northbridge (it ships with terrible thermal tape that doesn't do a very good job)...how much do I put on? I heard I need more than on the CPU as the surface isn't nearly as flat.

Thanks.

do whats on arctics website but a very small line
as for the north bridge spread it a thin layer out all over

The pea technique is for single core CPUs.

If you have some, use ceramique paste to the NB as you will be applying it to a bare die, and it is possible that excess silver based paste will cause a short circuit in the area around the die. If you're careful, you will be fine AS5 on the NB, but it's always safer to use ceramique.

The pea technique is for single core CPUs.

If you have some, use ceramique paste to the NB as you will be applying it to a bare die, and it is possible that excess silver based paste will cause a short circuit in the area around the die. If you're careful, you will be fine AS5 on the NB, but it's always safer to use ceramique.

Ok. It's not that urgent...if the NB gets too hot though, I'll order some ceramic and apply it afterwards. So for the NB, should I just follow Arctic Silver's instructions for a single-core cpu?

So for the NB, should I just follow Arctic Silver's instructions for a single-core cpu?
Yes, that's better than speading the paste over the die as it will eliminate the possibility of air pockets being created.

Do as it says, its right.. pea size for single core, vertical line for dual, and horizontal for quad

Back
Top Bottom