Any keyboard enthusiasts in here?

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
Hey gang.
I recently have been on a bit of a journey when it comes to keyboards. I have had the G19 for 7 years. Love it love it love it. (except for the screen). It unfortunately somewhat broke 5 month ago. So i though i would get a new one and i decided it should be mechanical

Sense then i have had 3 other keyboards. The Corsair K70 RGB (MX brown), the Razer black widow ultimate(MX Blue) and the Coolermaster Rapid fire TK (MX Red).
I hate the reds because they are simply not very nice to type on (i make more mistakes on them) and the blues are way too noisy.
The browns is my favorite so far. They feel like the blues, but less noisy (still noisy though), but they aren't really an upgrade over quality membrane (In my opinion).
They feel alright, but the bump isn't hard enough. It's too light to press down.
So i was thinking of getting a keyboard with a clear MX switch. But they are not that common.

Can you guys recommend a keyboard with clear MX switches? It can be both 10key less or full size, but it has to be black, light up with red LEDs and have a wrist rest. I want to give mechanical a last try but I can't seam to find any that will suit me. I might go back to a membrane keyboard again.
So far i have failed to see what's "ohh so special" about mechanical keyboards.

Btw. If you are interested to know why the K70 RGB didn't work out for me, it's the following:
  • The LED lights are rather dull. They have the LED's inside the switch. The switch is clear so the lights can go through, but the plastic dims it too much. Also the letters lights up unevenly. Way to go Corsair, fuck up your main selling point. idiots.
  • the keycaps them self feel too hard. There have zero soft touch to them. You see that on the razer caps. They have a somewhat soft coat on them. they just feel better.
  • the wrist rest is on the short side.
  • Noise level is a bit too high. O-Rings fixes it, but that makes the lights even more dull and uneven.
  • Price

Last edited:
I'm sorry but the MX switches just don't trip my trigger. I'm with you though about a good quality membrane board. I have a couple of M$ cheapy keyboards that work just fine. The feel of the keys is smooth and doesn't take all that much to press them down. When I get to buzzing along typing a report or a post, the sound is a muffled clicking.

Just for some bling bling I'd like to have a keyboard that has RGB LEDs under each key and would let me set my own colors. I'd like to be able to have it put on a light show when the computer goes idle. I got some emails in the past about one that would do that from a startup company but it seems they went belly up due to the pricing. I'd say 500 bucks for a keyboard would put you out of the market right quick.

Yeah, it's a keyboard. you type on it and letters appear on the screen. No need spending a fortune on them :lol:

500 bucks for a keyboard by a startup company :blink: Yeah that is reaching for the stars too early on. And even so, it's crazy. I can build a computer for less.

I'm a mechanical fanboy. One of my favorite keyboards I ever owned was a mechanical Dell keyboard from the early 2000s. PS/2 and noisy, but the old switches were still right on the money, good action and a comfortable feel - plus zero lag for gaming!

However more recently I'm using a blackwidow 2014, the 'budget' model of the Blackwidow with Razer's own 'Green' switches. from what I can tell they are designed much the same way as cherry switches are, but they have an odd almost middle of the road feel. It feels like typing on a high quality membrane keyboard, but you get a bit of that satifying click and just enough feedback from the switch to make it a comfortable typing experience

$500 bones for a keyboard that lights up....that is just crazy. I have saw videos on youtube about keyboards that light up. They are really cool looking, but I would never pay that much money for them....besides, I'm a laptop kind of guy.

Darkseeker:
That might have been a solution if they had red LED's. But they don't. Green and blue is the only colors Razer Like.
And unfortunately the razer switches have a higher actuation point. I sometimes hit keys slightly too much on the side so it slightly touches the key beside it. So my finger takes down 2 keys. It's not often, but it happens slightly more with mechanical keyboards because they register higher up. simply because the actuation point is higher. I don't need it to be even higher than that.

I have a Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire. It is 10-keyless with blue switches. I love it. I don't ever see me willingly going back to a membrane keyboard.

Having owned the quickfire i can say it has a solid build and a no nonsense design. So i can understand why you would like it. Make it MX clear with red LED's and i would properly buy it.

I personally use a cheap wireless Logitech MK250 and it's by far the best keyboard I've ever used (in my opinion), it's quiet but the button press is positive, and it's not too flashy.

Back
Top Bottom