Antivirus vs. my slow as sh*t computer!

Juan handed

In Runtime
I remeber the good old days when I clicked on my Outlook Express and my emails popped up in a jiffy or when internet pages loaded in an instant.

I eliminated a bunch of programs that were going unused to free some of the clutter.I run the CCleaner fairly regular.

Is the McAfee junk I have doing it?When I bog down and check the task manager I see all of theses McAfee programs taking up a lot of memory and processor energy.I've had McAfee for several years.

Are these McAfee programs just getting more and more ponderous? I'm on a 7 year old Dell laptop with 512 RAM ,could the antivirus be slowing everything?

From personal experience all the 'big' name AV software out there bogs down your computer and use too many resources to run.

I use avast!. Its free and doesn't take over your computer. You could also try AVG.

There's some here that don't use AV software at all.

My antivirus: Being smart about browsing/downloading. I haven't run any in over 5 years (and when I did, it was AVG). They aren't worth the resources they use up.

OK,so I will probably go with Avast.

I'm pretty dopey...keep this in mind.What tips can you give me to manage the Avast program?

I have been using McAfee for a few years,so basically it has handled that part of my life,but the by-product has been a ponderous-sized program always running on my rig.

I just need some advice on what I should bee doing on a weekly basis...I surf around a lot.

Also,I am buying a laptop,2 actually,for myself and for my friend's kid,as you can see here http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=89650

I will install the anti-virus on both of them,any tips for managing the viruses on his computer? (his parents have zero computer knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom