Anthlon 64 overheating

techguy475

Beta member
Specs:

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI mobo
Anthlon 64 3200 Venice Processor
Geforce 7800GT
120GB WD HDD on SATA

This is my first build, and ever since I finished it, at idle, the temps have been around 38C and if I run 3DMark05, temps can go as high as 60C. I used Artic Silver 5, and the stock HSF. My chipset temps seem to always be at 70C and never raise about 75C when under load. Don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Anyway, I've been to other forums and all they tell me is that it isn't right. WELL DUH! Anway, I hope somebody here can help. Thanks
Techguy

Probably the fact that you're using the stock heatsink/fan contributes to your high idle temps. I idle at about 29C-30C, and that's with my Delta Tri-Blade at it's slowest speed at about 7v. :D Not sure about the chipset...but if you're worried about that, then buy an afterstock cooler from some 3rd party manufacturer.

Yeah def should buy a new heat sink and fan...From newegg or some where...that might be the main cause of your computer overheating

That's strange. I'm using stock heatsink and all and I'm running 27 degrees Celsius right now. Make sure you clean the thermal compound off really good on the CPU and under the heatsink and reapply the Arctic Silver. Usually takes a drop in the middle of the CPU about the size of a small button. Put that heatsink on and see how that goes. What happened to the thermal pad that came stock with it? That should've worked fine.

It's normal for temps to run high when you're running something (ie, games, benchmarks, etc).

It actually takes about 3/4 of a BB pellet, not a small button. Just thought I'd correct that... A "small button" is probably way too much.

You don't need too much. Just make sure you spread the paste out with a razor blade or something. It spreads out the paste and allows for a even heat transition.

No, you aren't supposed to spread Arctic Silver 5 out. Look on their website! I see more and more people saying this and you aren't supposed to do it.

sometimes its better, sometimes it isnt. Thats why people reseat the heatsink multiple times. Spreading it out isnt bad.

Back
Top Bottom