Another raspberry pi question

stefan-west1

Baseband Member
Hi all.

I've looked and seen people have said that these raspberry pis can't really be used as an everyday computer, but would it work to just run excel or equivalent just to write up a few invoices. The work PC is broke but that's all it's used for so was hoping to save a bit of cash and spend about £30 on one of these. Also it takes up no space. So any ideas?

Depending on the specs, I think they can only run Linux OS's but I think most of them come with Libre Office or Open Office so yes it should be fine for general word processing but I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for your work PC, You'd be able to get a decent refurbished system for a bit more that would be more than capable of running what you want to do.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Something like this would do PACKARD BELL DT.U7HEK.062 Refurbished Barebones Desktop PC Deals | Pcworld

The Raspberry Pi was designed to be an inexpensive learning computer for school kids. You could use it with Libre or Open Office suites (the Pi runs Linux so no MS Office) to create/edit Excel compatible spreadsheets but I think you would be disappointed in the performance since it has a very underpowered cpu and limited memory.

Once you buy the Pi you still need to provide a 5V power supply, SD card, mouse, keyboard and monitor. Although not totally necessary, you would probably also want a case for it. The OS doesn't come with the Pi, you'll need to download the OS and install it on your SD card. Depending on what else you need it to do, you may need a USB hub since the Pi has only 2 USB ports. My point is that unless you have all the stuff you need laying around, it will cost more than £30 to put a Pi in place.

Back
Top Bottom