Another AGP question.

Insunna

In Runtime
I've found out friends comp can't really use AGP, or PCI because he origally used the Integrated v-card. How much would it cost to buy a new port, and/or what ever else was needed so he can use at least AGP v-cards.. Also, any links would to these products would be helpful! I just don't know what to look up to find them my self.

No no no, you don't buy the ports. He probably has atleast 1 AGP or PCI slot, you can still be using integrated video but have slots open. The slots are used for other things that just video cards. Have him run everest and see what he's got availible.

www.newegg.com , you'll be using this for everything!

Everest is no longer free (unfortunately)... But if you google enough, you'll find a download site that hasn't taken it down yet :) (Lavalys is the company that makes the software)...

Ok, first thing you need to know, EVERY motherboard has at least 1 PCI slot. So he can get a decent video card in PCI. But I wouldn't do that. Just get a new motherboard, new CPU, well heck, new everything. Because you don't want to waste perfectly good money on somethign obsolete. Trust me, when I was having my "Need to upgrade" fit, I wa slike, well, my games are saying get AGP, BIIIIIG mistake. I should have gone for PCI-E. A waste of money. So save up your money and get something new and good and that will alst you a little bit. :)

Okay, have the program running.. I'm under Display and PCI /AGP video. How exactly do you tell if your systems has these ports now?

Here's the easiest way. Open up your case. Look on the motherboard, and look next to your white slots, somewhere near the processor is a brown slot about an inch to a half inch farther back then PCI would be. So essentially it's like this

PCI (slot 1)

PCI (slot 2)

PCI (slot 3)

---AGP Slot

-------CPU

Just imagine it as if you were looking at the motherboard from the top view.

Just open the case. You don't have to take anythign apart. Just the case, which involves just unscrewing like 4 screws and pulling. Nothing techinical or anything. But yeah, do that and look for a brown slot. If there's a brown slot, then you have AGP!

Back
Top Bottom