AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz VS Intel i7 920 2.67GHz

Everendless

In Runtime
The computer will be used for intense gaming. Which should I buy?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (Six cores) 3.2GHz - $300
Intel i7 920 2.67GHz - $170

If cost is a factor, try going with the i7-860 - similar price as the 920, but a better turbo boost AND hyperthreading, and uses LGA1156 so you can save a little on the motherboard vs the 930.

The AMD chips are great, but not for demanding gaming workloads if you care about raw performance. If it were me, I'd do the 860 right now.

i dont see why people say that the AMD processors arent capable of gaming or heavy workloads i only use AMD processors mainly the AM3 processors and they are great processors and can handle everything i throw at them i would personally go with the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition.

^ Intel's architecture is actually quite a bit better. For anything that isn't heavily multi threaded, the i7 will be better, though the AMD chip is actually similarly powerful, IRC.

Honestly, though, I'd by the 1055T. It's not unlocked, but it's 95% of the performance of the 1090T for 66% of the price.

Do keep in mind that if you buy an AM3 system(amd), then you'll be able to upgrade to AMD's next generation of processors, whereas Intel plans to replace Socket 1366 next year for their next generation of CPU's.

Bingo. If you can't tell by my name (well, the avatar at least), I'm obviously a green-team fan, but Intel has finally "woken up" with their Core/Core 2 /Core ix architectures and started really competing smartly again.

AMD's got some compelling things going for them right now, the entire platform for one thing (Motherboard + CPU + GPU = everything you need from one vendor) and I currently enjoy this in my home system, but for raw throughput and the sheer number of threads you can get away with when it comes to CPUs, Intel is where the party's at.

FWIW, I see almost no difference between my Phenom II at home and my work i7-920 for most things. I don't game on the work computer obviously, but the home is a quad core, far far behind the i7 and so on, but can still push enough pixels for me to be happy. :)

It comes down to money and what you want to go for. I have no problem recommending AMD for 80% of the people who ask me for advice, but the ones that are Intel die hards or just want the most processes/tasks performance, Intel is where the game is at for now.

That being said, I can't wait to see what Bulldozer can do (AMD's next gen chip)

Back
Top Bottom