AMD Phemon 955 BE Temp Questions

Trueyears

In Runtime
Whats is the idle temp on in with its stock cooler?

I was gonna over clock my CPU so I bought a Freezer 7 pro cooler cos alot of the reviews said it was good and did the Job done.

But notice how my idle temps with no o.c were at 38C while other people were getting lower.

I o.c to 3.8 1.5V Multiplier is 19 and its at 48 Idle

I bought some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste at Radio shack ($ 9.98 bitches! BE SURE TO GET IT WHILE YOU ARE ORDERING PARTS its around 6 or 7 bucks at newegg.... I think)

I thought the reason why my temps were so hot was because my PSU is on top and my Market cooler has its Fan pointed up

so the PSU sucks Air and the CPU Fan sucks hair and they have to fi ght for hair and the CPU dosent get enough hair.

so, I positioned my CPU fan Down and added AS5 to it but now its 37C Idle No O.C it didnt decrease at all.

My case is good.
Has one Fan in the front one in the back sucking air and 2 on the sides.

The Airflow is fine.

any ideas?

How much AS5 did you use? it should be the size of a plump grain of rice, no more.

TBH, I really don't care too much about my idle temps, just be sure to not let it get really hot for extended periods of time. AMD says 62 is as high as you want to go, though I like to keep it a bit lower than this.

Speed stepping is enabled right?
Also, if you're going to OC to 3.8, do not just bump the multiplier. You should get your reference clock to at least 225 imo if you want the best results. Then see how low you can get the vcore and still have it stable, and go from there. The heat is increased by a raise in vcore, not frequency.

38 isnt really hot though, its 100.4 F. What is the temperature in the room?

It may also be the Cooler. I tried that cooler out as well and I was not pleased with it at all. I got a xigmatek dark knight and my temps dropped like 8*c from the AC Freezer Pro 7.

Load temps are more important as well. Idle temps are well within the limits but you need to be worried about what your load temps are because that is when you are going to be doing damage to your processor. Run Prime95 and get your full 100% load temps (this will also verify stability). I like to keep mine below 58* max on Prime95 because AMD states that 62* is the max for the 955 so I keep it a little away from that temp just to be on the safe side.

Also all you did was just bump the multi and voltage? You did not change anything else (NB, HTT, HT link, CPU/NB, CPU VID, Memory, any other voltages) if not you should do some research if your not familiar with any of these other things and try to get that CPU v-core down and you can lower some of your temps as well. If you are messing with anything else make sure you do have adequate cooling for your WHOLE computer as these changes will cause other components to heat up as well. Adequate cooling is not just the amount of fans but the actual amount of air they are moving and the positioning in reference to the parts which need cooling.

It may also be the Cooler. I tried that cooler out as well and I was not pleased with it at all. I got a xigmatek dark knight and my temps dropped like 8*c from the AC Freezer Pro 7.

Load temps are more important as well. Idle temps are well within the limits but you need to be worried about what your load temps are because that is when you are going to be doing damage to your processor. Run Prime95 and get your full 100% load temps (this will also verify stability). I like to keep mine below 58* max on Prime95 because AMD states that 62* is the max for the 955 so I keep it a little away from that temp just to be on the safe side.

Also all you did was just bump the multi and voltage? You did not change anything else (NB, HTT, HT link, CPU/NB, CPU VID, Memory, any other voltages) if not you should do some research if your not familiar with any of these other things and try to get that CPU v-core down and you can lower some of your temps as well. If you are messing with anything else make sure you do have adequate cooling for your WHOLE computer as these changes will cause other components to heat up as well. Adequate cooling is not just the amount of fans but the actual amount of air they are moving and the positioning in reference to the parts which need cooling.

I change the Bios a bit but Mainly use AMD overdrive and Asus Turbo V which does a decent job but you h ave select a profile every day.

Even with out o.c just factory setting its 38C I ram OCCT on the basic settings and I just quit it because it was going at 53c and thats abit too hot for me a reason I bought this CPU was because it was suppose to be keep cool I know I can cool down the CPU by getting a better cool actually I have one here in my other pc but its loud as heck

anyways xigmatek dark knight looks allight so I think I will give this a go

thanks

I modded a Scythe Orochi with 2 190 CFM fans, and that thing was able to keep my cpu idling well under ambient. Full load was like 41C.

that would work too if you want a project.

Back
Top Bottom