amd or intel

curmudgeon

Beta member
My computer that I built about five years ago is probably on it's last legs (it's overclocked as well), and deserves to be put to rest. I don't think I'll build one this time around. I've had good luck with a Dell laptop I got two years ago, so I'm thinking of going Dell for a new desktop. My question is, should I go Intel or AMD now? I've always paid the higher price for Intel in the past, but is it still worth it? I use the computer mainly for designing trade show displays, and the graphics files can get pretty big and require decent processing power. My current computer can bog down on the big files, but again, it's five years old.
So anyway, do people recommend Intel or AMD these days for graphics processing and a reasonable price?
Also while I'm asking, Dell has a Windows 7 option which includes a "windows XP mode", but it's an extra $50. I think it was free before, but isn't now. I was thinking of paying the extra $50 for "xp mode", but I read a review that implied it wasn't worth it? Opinions?
Thanks!

UPDATE: I got an email from Dell for a Vostro system on major sale, and I decided to order it. I went Intel, and skipped the XP mode. I put the $50 "savings" toward more memory. Wish me luck on the new computer! :D

Back
Top Bottom