AMD and Intel

G9

Daemon Poster
What's the difference between AMD and Intel? Which one is better?

ok, first off dont ask which one is better, it will just turn into a flame war. Trust me, it has happened a million times. The difference is that, Intel has the ability to run at faster clock speeds, endure more heat, and it does 6 IPC's (Insructions per clock). AMD on the other hand, likes it cool, slower clock speeds but does 9 IPC's. They are both 64-bit. Both of them support PCI-E. If you go with AMD you will have the option of SLI(where you put two video cards together and run them at the same time) Intel will soon have this option.

Boy this has been asked a lot. I'm not gonna get into TONS of detail, instead I'll just kinda try and make it basic for you. AMD is mostly for gaming, office use, running single applications and even basic home use. Intel is mainly for video/photo editing, rendering and encoding and a little better at running multiple tasks at once. There isn't really any clear winner, it's just more of what you use. Each can fit someones needs, but not all, so there isn't a best, but there is a best for the things that a particular person does the most on their computer. And I don't really feel like getting into the reasons as to why each is so good at what they do, etc. So maybe someone else has the time for that.

Okay... let's just say that I develop A LOT with Flash MX 2004 Pro... I also use Swift 3D and various other programs... all at the same time. I am also a minor gamer who would like a computer that can handle Halo at best video quality. Which one would I most likely want... AMD or Intel?

you will want an Intel and a pretty good video card. Intels have hyper threading(forgot to mention that) which multi tasks better. If you do light gaming, an Intel will suit you fine.

Yeah definitely Intel if that's the stuff you're doing. And Halo isn't that demanding in the graphics department so just a pretty simple gfx card would get the job done. But definitely get a P4.

ownage said:
you will want an Intel and a pretty good video card. Intels have hyper threading(forgot to mention that) which multi tasks better. If you do light gaming, an Intel will suit you fine.
Is Halo played at full video settings considered "light gaming"? I am also a fan of the Homeworld Series, Age of Mythology, and Rise of Nations, but all of those don't seem to need much of a graphics card to play well under full quality settings.

winterfreshpwnz said:
Yeah definitely Intel if that's the stuff you're doing. And Halo isn't that demanding in the graphics department so just a pretty simple gfx card would get the job done. But definitely get a P4.
P4?

well...Halo is considered light-medium gaming. I play Far Cry, CSS, HL2 and especially Far cry it demands a lot of gpu power. and p4=pentium 4

Yeah Halo really isn't that demaning anymore now that we have all these new games out and stuff. Just a simple card will get the job done.

I play Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations with a p4 1.8 ghz and intel integrated graphics. I play them at full graphics. You don't have to worry much about those.

Back
Top Bottom