alternative to anti-static wrist band

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
would running a copper wire from my case (touching bare metal) to a grounded object (say a radiator) have the same effect as using a anti-static wristband when working on my computer?

You don't really need to do that, just touch something that is bare metal before you touch anything inside the computer. You can also get anti-static mats that plug into the grounded prong on an outlet.

Why don't you want to wear a wrist band? It's probably the best way to go. (or the mat)

i'm poor, and have the wire laying around my house. I could barley afford the parts for this comp, and I don't have money for the wrist strap.

so I could just touch the radiator, then work on the com?

Yeah, touch anything that is bare metal to discharge the static electricity from your body. Just do that every once in a while when you are working on your pc and you won't have any problems.

Tommy Boy said:
Yeah, touch anything that is bare metal to discharge the static electricity from your body. Just do that every once in a while when you are working on your pc and you won't have any problems.

okay, cool. thanks.

You could always follow the one hand rule where you keep on hand on the case metal and one hand installing the components. I usually just discharge my hands by touching the case itself then I work on the components.

alvino said:
You could always follow the one hand rule where you keep on hand on the case metal and one hand installing the components. I usually just discharge my hands by touching the case itself then I work on the components.

I don't usually do anything. :D
But yeah, touching the case is the best way to go, no need to buy anything.

Back
Top Bottom