Ahh Virus Bad One

Feircepc

Daemon Poster
Ok, I was on aim talking to a freind when all of a sudden he sends me this link and said it was funny. So i click on it now I have this really bad trojan and avast and avg can't get rid of it. It's annoying. Avast detects it all the time as Drsmithfraud or something. Then I say delete and boom it comes back. A freind of mine tried helping me but he doesn't know a lot about it. He said it's stored in my windows restore so it will come back and I can't delete it because it is an important windows file. PLEASE HELP

Can you tell us exactly what the Trojan is called? If worst comes to worst, you'll have to reformat. Do you have any backups?

Try this:
http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/trial-versions.php

Kaspersky removes EVERYTHING that all the other antivirus software i've tried managed to miss. It removed winfixer (norton missed it). and it's removed a bunch of other nasty things that have gotten in. You can try the antivirus free for 30 days, try it and see if it gets rid of the virus.

The person who sent it to me is actually someone who goes on this forum. Don't think he participates much here anymore. Person who sent it wasn't a freind. A freind tried helping me fix it though.

Anyways Avast and Avg scanned and detected a bunch of them. Then they deleted all but most of them are stored in my registry so what should I do?

I believe its called Smithfraud. I got it from a link that lead to a internet window that didn't load up. Then BOOM command prompt opens and then all these codes and stuff show up and then all my virus and protection stuff goes nuts.

Feircepc said:
The person who sent it to me is actually someone who goes on this forum. Don't think he participates much here anymore. Person who sent it wasn't a freind. A freind tried helping me fix it though.

Anyways Avast and Avg scanned and detected a bunch of them. Then they deleted all but most of them are stored in my registry so what should I do?

I believe its called Smithfraud. I got it from a link that lead to a internet window that didn't load up. Then BOOM command prompt opens and then all these codes and stuff show up and then all my virus and protection stuff goes nuts.
I could be wrong but I don't think AVG and Avast! have root scanners. I know kaspersky does so try that. You could try doing a system restore and see if that works. I had a similar thing happen to me through AIM that a "friend" of mine sent me. It screwed everything up and crashed my computer. This was back before I knew much about computers so I didn't know of anything to do other than reformat.

King of Kings said:
I cant stand that program and I hope it dies.Every other second I hear a "beep!' because it found this or because it found that.

LOL! I hate that screaming thing too but otherwise it's good. I turned off the proactive defense and it doesn't do that anymore. It does catch stuff that all other programs i've used have missed. I personally would have a program let me know what's going on and keep my computer safe than not tell me what's going on and let stuff through without my knowledge.

Bottom line: anything's better than mcafee or norton :eek:

to each their own,
Troy

Feircepc said:
Ok, I was on aim talking to a freind when all of a sudden he sends me this link and said it was funny. So i click on it now I have this really bad trojan and avast and avg can't get rid of it. It's annoying. Avast detects it all the time as Drsmithfraud or something. Then I say delete and boom it comes back. A freind of mine tried helping me but he doesn't know a lot about it. He said it's stored in my windows restore so it will come back and I can't delete it because it is an important windows file. PLEASE HELP

I feel your pain...

Right now I have a virus in my windows restore folder too... Troj/VB-ABA :(

The only antivirus to detect it was Sophos (which kind of worries me), but it couldn't get rid of it...

I'm going to do a scan in safe mode and with system restore off, and see if that helps... I suggest you do the same.

Give Nod32 and/or Sophos a try.

Back
Top Bottom