Advice on New Computer Build

SweetLisa

Beta member
Hi everybody I want to build a computer that can handle all my needs and more without a problem. I spoke with a local computer guy he showed me most of the parts from a place called newegg.com and tigerdirect.com. I need to get some input on the build to make sure I won't get ripped off. Now I do all of my work off my desktop video and picture editing, schoolwork, and some gaming here and there. Based off my needs and my wants this is what he came up with.

Windows 7 64 bit

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD5 LGA 1156

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5

4 Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL 1TB

2 G.SKILL Rip jaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner

Logitech Indoor Video Security Master System

Q-SEE QSDT8PCRC Real Time Recording PC Based Network

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W

First off, how intense will your editing and gaming be on this build? Only reason I ask is because the graphics card *could* be upgraded to a much better model if you'll be needing the power.

Just a few things I'll point out before I head to lunch...

- 6GB of RAM would be plenty (unless you're editing mucho)
- 1000W Power Supply is overkill. Save money on that and get a better video card.

Other parts look fine. Four hard drives, eh? 4TB sounds lovely. Has your man quoted you a price for all of this? Newegg.com and TigerDirect are two sites that many of us forumers use, so you can actually check prices for youself on either website.

www.newegg.com

Well I don't know how to rate my editing but I do a lot of it. I just really got into video editing and burning HD or blu ray movies of events I put on at my house. Also he said the video card would be fine and it will save me room to use my other pci slots. I really did not want to lose one from a huge graphics cards. Now for the 4TB he said two of the hard drives would be for each cam system so they will have their own drive. 1 hard drive would be for the two TV tuners because he said if I record 4 shows at a time each show would take up 6 GB or so. The last one would be for storage for my movies and xbox360 backups etc. The SSD he said would be a boot drive he was trying to do two because windows 7 take up a lot of room. The two cams system would also be running 24/7 so the computer would have to handle multiple things at once cams, TV recording and getting work done.

You do not need SSDs here. Its a waste of money if you have four HDDs. RAID0 two of them and put the OS on that.

Yea I was not sure he said it would help out with speed to open up program and thing would run much faster.

It will just make it boot a little faster.

You will have even more drives to fail too. I would get 2 2TB drives. Partition them into four 1TB partitions if you want, but keep the number of drives as minimal as possible. Six is just asking for failure.

Hey Lisa,

The four hard drives will definitely be a massive amount of storage, although you could technically get by with only two, like foothead has suggested.

As far as the other suggestions I have made, I'd like to first find out how much your store is going to be charging you. Do you have any idea about this?

Again, the Power Supply and RAM can both be reduced. No need for 8GB or 1000W of power. We can go ahead and make you a nice sample build that you can print out and show your shop. Maybe you two can work out a happy medium from there on.

he said for the whole setup it would be $2,500 he said i could do two payments to him. Also about the hard drive he said i should stay with the setup because the 2tb hard drive fails a lot. As for the ssd i was told he was going to raid them to give me better performance that i would need to run two cams system 24/7

Back
Top Bottom