Advice - do I need a new PSU? And if so what one?

GlynG

Beta member
I think my computer might not have enough power and that I should possibly upgrade the power supply. Wanted some advice really as this not something I've done before or know much about.

The computer comes with the standard PSU savastore shipped it with which runs the existing set-up ok, but if I want to connect an additional hard-drive I have to disconnect both DVD drives for it to recognise it. Also it has an annoying habit of blue-screen crashing occasionally - but only when I play music, which I'm guessing might mean it's not got quite enough power to keep the (temporarily added in) Soundblaster Audigy ZS running consistently.

It's running on a 300W power supply, which I think is quite low. What wattage should I really have? Is there a particular sort I'd need to buy? It's shortly going to become my mother's computer and I can't see her using it for anything that complicated, the main requirement is that the new PSU should be relatively cheap (ideally <£15-20), while not too noisy. Quite possibly pick one up cheap on e-bay, maybe even a second-hand one, just not sure what I need.

System Details:
AMD Athlon64 3000+
MSI 7093 Motherboard
1 gig DDR ram
2 x Connect 3D Radeon x300 (think one's part of motherboard, other separate)
1-2 x 250gig SATA HDs (1 mainly used, 1 back-up)
2 x DVD Drives
7 in 1 card reader thingy
Dell 2005FPW
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000

How much wattage should I buy? 400W be enough or would I need more? There's a Antec Smart Power 400W PSU going cheap on e-bay I was looking at...

And finally how easy is it to change a PSU? I'm reasonably ok fiddling about inside a computer these day's but that's not something I've had call to do...

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions!

Glyn

yeah, something like a 400-480 watt should do you well, you have a lot of stuff there and it needs more power. the question is though, is it a brand name like dell or hp? if so you will have to buy the power supply from them and you won't be able to use an off the shelf one.

Tommy Boy said:
yeah, something like a 400-480 watt should do you well, you have a lot of stuff there and it needs more power. the question is though, is it a brand name like dell or hp? if so you will have to buy the power supply from them and you won't be able to use an off the shelf one.
Cheers for the reply and it's an Aries PC bought from Savastore - see here for similar PCs: http://www.savastore.com/ariespc (I've got the sort of case used by the top-left PC on that page, if that makes a difference).

Hadn't realised I might have to use a certain brand of PSU, if that is the case then that could be a pain...

Glyn

Since I don't know that brand, you might want to consult with the manufacturer to see if you have to buy one from them or you can buy one off the shelf. unless anyone else knows those computers and can lend any advice

Back
Top Bottom