adding a new hard dirve

billozz

In Runtime
hope someone can help witht this problem.
i have installed a new hdd on my computer the problem is it doesnt show up in "my computer", at first i think i must have had the jumpers (slave/master) in the wrong way round because an error came up, i changed them round and didnt get the error message anymore but the drive isnt showing up. not sure if i have to go into the bios and set it up in there but i am sure it must be something fairly simple.
any help much appreciated
Bill

You must format the harddrive first. is this a slave HDD or is it going to be the master?

I don't know exactly where the utility is to format but i know how to get to it.

this is for XP i don't know if it's the same for other OS's. go into Star> Help and support> Type in "partition"> go under pick a task> choose "Create a partition or logical drive"> Click on "using windows interface"> click on "Computer Management (Local). "> Under "storage" go to disk management> you should see 2 HDD one should have a blue bar(means it's formated) and one should have a black bar(means it's unformated)> right click on the black bar one> Click "new partion"> Then follow the wizard.

He said it, all you need to do is setup in the bios, format and then, you have to put it as a slave if you already have another hard drive working.

thanks for the reply guys.dishdog i followed your instructions and it now appears in "my computer" but i bought an 80gb hd, yet in the disk management section it says that it is 31.49gb...have i been conned.
also steven12 said something about setting it up in the bios ....not sure what he means ...thanks for the help so far tho
regards
Bill

Go back where i showed you. the HDD that you formatted is there any black bar left?

you should also know that your HDD isn't going to be a full 80GB, but it shouldn't shrink that much.

the bar is all blue...and where it tells you how big the drive is it says capacity 31.49gb....free space 28.09gb
also in "my computer the drive shows up as "new volume(E)"...not hdd(E) is this right
thanks
Bill

the new volume part is right. ig you don't give it a name when you format it it defaults to that.

What i would do is delete the paratition you just made and create a new one and make sure you use the full size of the HDD (and give it a name,lol).

When you format the drive NTFS, you will lose a couple of GB's (e.g. 80 might become 76 etc.)

But you shouldn't be losing that much, do what Dishdog says about deleting the partition and starting over.

Back
Top Bottom