Adding a 3rd Monitor, need some advice!

Iontheable

In Runtime
Alright guys, it's time get some more real estate..

At the moment I am running two 24" monitors and I'd love to add a third..

I'm using a GTX275 and it is to my understanding I will need a second card for the third monitor and run the two in SLI..

My question lies here, it is also to my understanding that this card doesn't need to be a GTX275 but any Nvidia card would work..

This setup is mainly for my music editing software but I will also be playing games across all three monitors, if I were to get a lower end Nvidia card, would my graphics be extremely bottlenecked?

Thanks for any Feedback!

im not sure how it works with NVidia cards, but i do know how it works with ATI cards, and i'd assume it's similar.

the cards dont have to be EXACTLY the same, but in the same series. E.g. i could CrossFire my 5770 with a 5750, but not with a 5570.

Do these same rules apply for cards for strictly physx?

The new HD 6950's look off the hook...would be eager to find out if my GTX275 could piggyback as just a physx card..doubtfull

From my understanding, SLI and Crossfire setups run multiple graphics cards to split up the graphics to only ONE monitor. Placing that if you are running an SLI connection and have 2 monitors hooked up, technically the SLI infrastructure will not be active. Now if you do have multiple graphics cards within the computer, depending on which monitor you have hooked to what card, that display will take the resources from that one device. So when it comes to bottlenecking, it will only be as good as the current graphics card that is attached to that monitor.

I have not had a chance to run different model graphics with my SLI setup. I am currently running 2 "NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT." But again, if you plan to run multiple monitors from an SLI source, the SLI will deactivate and will display a multiple screen setup. So technically if you plan to run the multiple monitors, you will not have to worry about SLI working or not with a different model. You can get any card NVIDIA or ATI for the 3rd monitor.

Back
Top Bottom