acer 1670

silverwing65

Baseband Member
Hi
I was using an old acer aspire 1670 and it stopped working on mains but works ok on battery, I have changed the jack it is fitting snug,the charger is working perfectly.

Is there anything else I can do or do I just dump it ( I like this laptop)

Thanks

Are you saying that the battery charges while plugged in but the laptop won't boot unless you unplug it? Are you using the original charger or is this a replacement?

No it does not charge at all. yes orig charger still showing 19volts, i have been using this laptop for the last 4 years with win7
Thanks

Maybe you have a problem with the power plug inside you laptop. I found a video that shows what the problem was and how he fixed it.

Now just note that I am not saying trying to fix it yourself, for all i know this may not be your problem, but if it is a wire coming loose...then this might be the fix for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpLRaTord9o

Start with the easy things, try swapping the battery with another and see if there is a change. Do a BIOS reset and possibly update if one is available. Check that you don't have any odd "power manager" type apps installed on your computer. Check that you have defaults setup in your "Power Options" in control panel. You can edit the power plans and select reset to default.

Next, you can use a multimeter to test the terminals on the battery plug to ensure power is being delivered to the battery so that it may charge. If you or someone you know (or even a local shop) is comfortable disassembling the laptop, you can test the solder points where the DC jack attaches to the motherboard to ensure the DC jack is not damaged and in need of replacement. If none of the above resolve it, it's possible your motherboard is faulty. That was the case for a laptop I had that was doing what you describe.

Thank you crazyman.
Went through that lot, the power jack is fine and showing 19volts, so I think that it has developed a fault in the mobo

Thank you all for input I think I will dispose of it as parts now

Back
Top Bottom