4870 X2 performance

Shantei

In Runtime
Well .. the motherboard I bought was faulty so I've sent it back for a replacement .. so instead I stuck in my old motherboard, in my sign, which means I have my old processor, again in my sig .. but with a 4870X2 .. oh and a 650W PSU ..

So, this m/b doesn't support PCI-E2.0 .. but I was getting low frames on the first test on 3Dmark06 .. and generally a low score overall .. I didn't do the CPU tests ^^ .. but they were very low.

Is my processor bottlenecking it THIS much? Or is it the 2.0?

Edit: Oh yes, I also have Vista64

Every processor bottlenecks in 06, especially at the low default resolution of 1280x1024, it's probably the worst benchmark in existance behind SuperPi.

Vantage is a definite improvement, especially with the performance/extreme presets, and as you have Vista 64, you should definitely give it a try.

There has been nothing conclusive as to whether the PCI-E 1.0 bus provides sufficient bandwidth or not, I personally think that 2.0 is still not required.

Well, just that I tried UT3 on full resolution and max settings .. but game me same frames as when I had an X1900Xt .. no matter how I change the settings it stays the same .. which I think says that it can easily handle anything, just it's not enabling it's full potential because it's being limited by something .. perhaps power supply or CPU?

Also, is there a program I can download to see the total power consumption of the computer? That'd really help me I think..

Thanks.

What resolution are you running? The card will be limited by the CPU at lower resolutions.

AA and AF?

What drivers do you have installed and is this a clean Vista install?

The power supply would not limit the performance, just cause lock ups and reboots.

Check that the card is speeding up to 3D clock speeds (alt-tab and open CCC whilst in a game)

1900x1200 resolution max settings ^^ ... theoretically if I overclock my cpu I should notice and improvement .. I'll try it now ^^

Yes .. it was the CPU .. majorly.

I mean, it really had to be didn't it? You can buy a 4200+ for like £20 these days .. it was stocked at 2.2GHz .. I overclocked it quickly to just under 2.6GHz and that jumped the strating frames of 3DMark06 (Return to Proxycon) from 35-40 odd to 60+ .. Can't wait till I install my Q6600 and Oc' that to about 3.4GHz ^^

1900x1200 resolution max settings ^^ ... theoretically if I overclock my cpu I should notice and improvement .. I'll try it now ^^

Yes .. it was the CPU .. majorly.

I mean, it really had to be didn't it? You can buy a 4200+ for like £20 these days .. it was stocked at 2.2GHz .. I overclocked it quickly to just under 2.6GHz and that jumped the strating frames of 3DMark06 (Return to Proxycon) from 35-40 odd to 60+ .. Can't wait till I install my Q6600 and Oc' that to about 3.4GHz ^^

what kind of cooler you gonna use for your Q6600 to overclock it to 3.4ghz?

Back
Top Bottom