3 cd/dvd drives possible?

shadowangelz

Beta member
My question, is it possible to have 3 cd drives??

the other day, i went out and got a DVD burner for my computer.. what I didn't realize was that my first cd drive could not read DVD's.. I want my computer to copy DVD's directly from one to another... since my first cd drive can't do that, I've decided to go get another DVD burner/drive but don't want to waste my first cd drive.. so you know, the ide cable connnector can only hold 2 drives.... so.....????

i talked to this one guy.... he told me that its possible if i have only 1 harddrive.. but ??? im confused.. =S

Yes, you can have 3 optical drives. Your system can carry a max of 4 IDE drives (motherboard). One for the hard drive and the rest for your CD or DVD drives. But why have that much though? I only have a single DVD burner that burns DVDs and CDs. Even if you have another optical drive, you still won't be able to do disc to disc copy because the image is being transferred to the hard drive anyways and back onto the CD.

i've put my brother's dvd drive with the one i just bought.. it might need to go through the harddrive first.. but its a lot faster ... and it copies exactly whats on there.... the DVD i had right now, im using nero... not very easy to copy .. do you get what I'm saying?

But besides that point, how is it possible? 1 cable for the harddrive.. and the rest for the optical drives.. but the ide connector?

The cable for the hard drive have a Master and Slave connection. SATA hard drives is another story. So if you connect your hard drive to the Primary Slot using the Master connection, your Slave connection is available for your other IDE device such as your CD ROM.

Your welcome. Your motherboard has only two IDE slots (Primary slot, Secondary slot). Each IDE cable that goes into the motherboard slots can support 2 IDE devices (hard drives, DVD RWs, CD RWs, Zip drives, or whatever IDE capable devices there are) giving you a total of 4 maximum IDE devices. So you could have 3 CD devices as have mentioned from the thread subject because the other one is used for the hard drive which you must have.

If you have SATA hard drive, you can use all 4 IDE conenctions for your CD ROMs :)

Back
Top Bottom